What is data migration?
Data migration is to clone data from one disk to another one. It is very useful for people who want to migrate their data. But why would people like to migrate data to another disk? With time goes by, the usage of computer will become more and more, and you will find that one day, it will run out of disk space, so that you cannot store the new data. Thus, to migrate data to a larger disk is very effective to get more free space.
Besides, many users know that Samsung SSD (solid state drive) has an excellent performance, while the HDD (hard disk drive) has more disadvantages. For example, it has slower running speed, and it makes noise while it working, etc. So, many users want to migrate OS from the HDD to an SSD to get a better performance.
About Samsung Data Migration
Samsung provides users a tool specially for migrating OS and data from existing storage device to SSD called Samsung Data Migration (SDM), which can migrate your data in three steps. This Samsung Data Migration software is acclaimed by users at the first time.
1. It will scan your system current condition with a simple graphic.
2. It will recommend you a plan of how to migrate data to SSD. Here you can add the additional partition which you want to migrate, and you can adjust the partition sizes as you want.
3. The data migration will be executed, and you will move all the data to another SSD.
However, Samsung Data Migration does not work as well as we image. You may meet many problems that you cannot understand. Here is a user who complained in a forum:
"I used Samsung Data Migration and it seemed to work. Then it booted but after logon, went into a blue screen of semi consciousness with Windows preparing or something similar, and finally to a screen where mouse works but nothing else does and it's a black screen."
What’s wrong with the operations? Maybe the bootable files have been damaged or other reasons caused the migration failed. Fortunately, there is a way to rescue this problem.
Best free alternative to SDM - AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper is a great powerful software which can migrate data to SSD in free without losing any data. It adjusts to almost all the Windows PC users including Windows 7/8/10. AOMEI Backupper Standard is the best free alternative to Samsung Data Migration. Using it to migrate data to SSD is very simple and easy. Before you do, there are something you need to know:
- AOMEI Backupper enables you to migrate data between GPT and MBR disks directly without any conversion.
- AOMEI Backupper is a free disk cloning software that allows you to migrate OS from HDD to SSD. You may change the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy mode if you want to clone from GPT to MBR or from MBR to GPT. Because GPT disk supports UEFI mode, while MBR supports BIOS mode. They must be consistently.
- It may give you a choice to convert the destination disk to GPT when the destination disk is shown as unallocated space.
- AOMEI Backupper allows you to migrate data on your disk to a smaller disk only if the destination disk is large enough to store the data.
Step1. To migrate data to SSD, you need to download the free edition of AOMEI Backupper. Install and launch it. Then click Clone -> Disk Clone (here you can choose what you need).
Step2. Choose a disk that you want to migrate the data on it as the source disk.
Step3. Choose the disk that you prepared before to take it as the destination disk. Click Next.
Step4. You will move to the Operation Summary page. Here you can confirm the information about your operation. If you are migrating data to an SSD, we highly recommend you check “Align partition to optimize for SSD”, because it would optimize for your SSD after cloning. Click Start Clone, and the progress will be launched.
Besides, if you are using AOMEI Backupper Professional edition, you can edit partitions' size on the destination disk.
Step5. Wait till the progress end, click Finish to exit.
AOMEI Backupper is a good data migration software. It can migrate the whole data on your disk, or it can only migrate OS to SSD. It is the best alternative to Samsung Data Migration. Besides, you can use it to backup and restore system, create bootable media, synchronize files between two computers, automatic backup files and so on.