When starting to clone hard disk drive (HDD) onto a Samsung SSD with Samsung Data Migration, one may get an error saying the clone had failed with an error code: 400230 [061b66]. Or Samsung Data Migration cloning failed with a message that "Target Disk has been disconnected".
Many users have reported such errors. You may follow the steps listed below to find a fix:
1. Defragment the HDD. Type in "disk defragmenter" in the search box, and then you can find the Defragment utility shown at the top of the search results.
2. Disable page files. Right click on This Computer, go to Properties--> Advanced-->Performance-->Advanced-->Change, and click on the change button. Uncheck the option “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”, and select the option No Paging File.
3. Disable Hibernation mode. The simplest way should be to use the prompt command. Run the command “powercfg /hibernate off” in the Command Prompt. Note that the Hibernation mode is disabled by default on Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.
4. Disable system restore point files. Right click on This Computer, and go to Properties--> System Protection, and then turn off Restore Point Protection for the C drive.
5. Reboot your PC and shrink or extend C partition a bit. Then connect the SSD to start cloning.
After all these steps, the Samsung Data Migration error should be fixed. If Samsung data migration isn’t working still or you think the steps are too cumbersome, you can try free SSD cloning software.
Alternative to Samsung Data Migration
AOMEI Backupper Standard, free hard drive cloning software, can clone hard drive to SSD no matter what kind of SSD you use, and it doesn’t have a connection problem. With its professional design, you can edit partitions on the destination disk, align partition to optimize for SSD, and use Sector by sector clone.
Before cloning, AOMEI Backupper will detect whether the space on destination SSD is sufficient or not. If not enough space, you can slim your HDD by removing data to another disk or use system clone to only migrate OS to SSD. It allows you to clone large HDD to small SSD as long as the SSD is sufficient to keep all the data on the HDD. To clone MBR disk to GPT disk is also available for its full support of UEFI. Let’s see how it works with SSD migration.
1. Download and install the program on your computer. Then run it.
2. Click the "Disk Clone" option under Clone tab.
3. Select the source disk that you are going to clone, and click "Next". Note that it is not supported to clone an entire dynamic disk, but you can use Partition Clone to select all the partitions on the dynamic disk to clone as a workaround.
4. Choose the SSD as destination disk, and then click on the "Next". Note that all data on the destination disk will be deleted before cloning.
5. Click Start Clone to proceed. While cloning your HDD to your SSD, you can still use the computer to do other stuff.
Using AOMEI Backupper can be an excellent choice when Samsung Data Migration cloning failed. Besides, it can also be used to create system image backup, backup hard drive, restore system when it is not working, transfer OS to another computer with dissimilar hardware, and many more.