Protect Windows Server 2012 (R2) with backup
You should always keep your data backed up, especially for Windows Server users, because a lot of things depending on your server. Starting from Windows Server 2008, you can use Windows Server Backup, a built-in server backup tool, to backup your server.
Some users love Windows Server Backup while some hate it due to its advantages and shortages. After installing Windows Server 2012 (R2) and configure everything well, you probably want to create a full server backup. when you try to access Windows Server Backup, you may get a message:
“Windows Server Backup is not installed on this computer. To install Windows Server Backup, from Server Manager select "Add roles and features", and follow the wizard to select the Windows Server Backup feature.”
In that case, you cannot use WBadmin to backup Windows Server from command line. Without Windows Server Backup, you will also find out that wbadmin.msc is missing. This article will show you how to fix this problem step by step.
Two situations of Windows Server Backup not showing
You did not install Windows Server Backup is not installed
Windows Server Backup on Windows Server 2012 is not installed by default. If you want to use it, you have to install it from Server Manager.
1. Open Server Manager by clicking on it in the taskbar.
2. Click on Manage > Add roles and functionalities in the right Menu.
3. Under “Features” tab, select “Windows Server Backup” and click “Next".
4. Click on “Yes” and “Install” to start installing Windows Server Backup.
Then you can close this windows to other things when Windows Server Backup is being installed in the background. You can check if the install is complete in the by clicking on Notifications Center icon.
Windows Server Backup installed but not showing
If you have already installed Windows Server Backup but it does not appear when trying to use it, the first thing you should try is run Windows Server Backup as administrator. If it still not showing, try the following method.
This case is rather rare, and you need to uninstall Windows Server Backup and then add the feature network load balancing (NLB) along with Windows Server Backup.
After that, you should be able to Use Windows Server Backup to create a custom backup or full server backup.
Windows Server Backup alternative
If you still cannot get Windows Server Backup to work, you can try a Windows Server Backup alternative to backup your server instead of spending much time solving this issue. Besides, Windows Server Backup does have some limitations that you are not content with.
AOMEI Backupper Server was developed for easy Windows Server backup and recovery. If you are looking for Windows Server Backup alternative, AOMEI Backupper would be a good choice. It allows you to backup individual files, volumes, entire server, or only server system with full/incremental/differential backups. You set multiple Windows Server scheduled backups in a very simple way instead of one.
What’s more, you can enable Disk Space Management to automatically delete old backups to make sure you will never run out of space on your backup drive. If your server is in a serious problem, you can restore the backup to previous date easily. If you want to upgrade your server hardware, you can restore system to the new server with dissimilar hardware.
How to backup Windows Server with the alternative
Because of its intuitive interface, AOMEI Backupper allows you to backup and restore in a few clicks. You can refer to the following steps to create a Windows Server 2012 system backup.
1. Download , install and open this backup software.
2. In the main interface, click “Backup” in the left pane, and select “System Backup”. If you want to backup the full server, select “Disk Backup” instead.
3. In the next screen, all needed partitions for a Windows Server system restore are selected as backup source in Step1. All you need to do is click “Step2” to specify a destination location to store your backup image. You can backup to external hard drive, network location, cloud drive and other locations.
4. Before you start the backup, there are three options to custom your backup, Backup Options, Schedule, and Scheme down there. You can click them to configure it when needed. After that, click “Start Backup” to start the backup.
In conclusion, if you meet this problem Windows Server Backup 2012 not showing, just install it and Network Load Balancing in Server Manager. Then you can use Windows Server Backup or WBadmin to backup your server.
If you do not content with the backup and restore feature of Windows Server Backup, the AOMEI Backupper Server is worth your time. Besides backup and restore, AOMEI Backupper Server also allows you to upgrade your hard drive without reinstalling Windows by using Disk Clone feature.