Real case about how to backup SD card to computer
I have 19 GB photos and music files on my 32 GB SD card. When I want to copy some files from my SD card to my computer, my computer tells me to format it first. Thus, I cannot backup any files. I want to know how to backup SD card before formatting.
Why backup SD card to computer?
The overview of SD card
SD(Secure Digital) cards are a type of memory card typically used in digital cameras and other portable devices, such as mobile phones, music players, personal computers, etc. And it includes four types and three different sizes.
1. Types of SD card
The original Standard-Capacity (SDSC)
The High-Capacity (SDHC)
The Extended-Capacity (SDXC)
2. Sizes of SD card
The original size
The mini size
The micro size
Reasons to backup SD card to computer
SD cards are widely used in the portable device. Many users employ it to increase storage space or save personal data containing pictures, video, files, etc. In most cases, no one wants to lose it. And the wise men will choose to make an image file from SD card or memory card. But why?
1. Protect the security of the data on your SD card. If you save important files on the SD card or pictures or video contains your precious memory, you will not want to lose it owing to SD card corrupted or lost. So they will choose to backup the memory card to computer ahead of time.
2. Migrate the data on SD card and increase storage space. The more space you own, the more data you can save. And you cannot put any files or photos to it if your SD card is out of space. To get more space and save whatever you want on the SD card, you can backup it before you format your SD card.
How to backup SD card to computer?
The original way to backup SD card to computer
When it comes to backing up or migrating data to a computer, many users choose to directly copy and paste it to the computer. Although it’s very simple, it’s useful for the majority of users who are not familiar with computer. Below are the detailed steps:
Step 1: Plug your SD card into the card reader of your computer. If your computer does not have a card reader, you can use an external adapter to connect your SD card to your computer via USB.
Step 2: Press “Win + E” to open “Computer”/ “This PC”
Step 3: Find your SD card which is marked as “Removable Disk” with a drive letter.
Step 4: Double click your SD card and open it
Step 5: Copy the files you want and paste it to your computer.
It's simple and practical for many users. However, when you try to backup dozens of data, you will be upset. It's a time-consuming task. And, sometimes, your computer will tell you to format your Removable Disk first. If you do that, you will lose your data. Owing to these problems, you may want to find the alternative way.
The alternative way to backup SD card to computer
To overcome the limitations from Windows, I will show you a professional software named AOMEI Backupper and how to backup SD card or memory card before formatting.
AOMEI Backupper is a magic backup software which is designed for Windows and aimed to help you protect the security of your personal data and migrate it in a short time. It supports all version of the computer, including Windows XP, Window 7/8/10, etc. Aside by that, there is a distinct advantage of AOMEI Backupper: it owns more choices including Backup, Restore, Clone and other Utilities.
Taking Backup as an example, you can enjoy System Backup, Partition Backup, Disk Backup, File Sync, etc. That’s to say, you can backup whatever you want and restore it if needed.
Now, coming to the point.
Step 1: Plug your SD card in your computer, then download the backup and restore software, install and launch it.
Step 2: Enter the main page of AOMEI Backupper, select Disk Backup
Step 3: Find the Removable Disk you plug in and select it as the Source Disk and select a location on the computer as destination path, then click Start Backup when everything is ok.
If you want to backup micro SD card, you need to choose your micro SD card as your Source Disk and follow the step below.
1. To manage your backup well, you can compress or encrypt it via Backup Options.
2. If you want to backup your SD card or migrate data regularly, you can choose whatever you want from Schedule Settings and set up a Schedule Backup.
3. If you want to manage your disk space, you can tick Scheme and select it according to your needs. Unfortunately, this feature is only available on AOMEI Backupper Professional. If you need, upgrade AOMEI Backupper first and enjoy it.
If you have already read here, you can get how to backup your SD card or micro SD card to computer in a few steps. And you do not need to format your SD card and also finish it in a very short time. Aside by that, you may want to know how to backup SD card photos, you can choose File Backup on the main page of AOMEI Backup and follow the prompt step by step.