Windows 10 bootable USB not working
Sometimes, you may find that your USB drive does not work as usual. Here, I’ll list some situations in the following.
- Bootable USB is not detected as a boot device.
- Bootable USB not showing up in BIOS.
- Bootable USB stuck on the boot menu screen.
- You can't boot from USB, even select the right boot option.
And then, see below and follow the suggestions to fix Windows 10 boot from USB not working issue.
How to fix Windows 10 USB not working on boot?
1. Check if your computer supports USB Boot Options. You can restart your computer, press the key on the first screen to enter BIOS, find out Boot Options or something like that and set boot priority to the USB drive. If not, your computer does not support this option.
2. Enable CSM or Legacy boot mode, disable Secure Boot Control and then restart your system. You can enter the BIOS screen by the key on the first screen and then click Boot > Launch CSM and enable it. Next, click Security > Secure Boot Control and disable it.
3. Format the drive with NTFS file system if the computer is Legacy BIOS mode.
4. Take your USB hard drive and use it on another computer, see if it’s bootable.
If you cannot fix it by above suggestions, you can start over to create a bootable media with a professional tool like AOMEI Backupper.
AOMEI Backupper is a free backup and restore software, which offers you many useful utilities, such as, create bootable media, explore image, etc. If your Windows 10 bootable USB is not working, you can create bootable media with AOMEI Backupper as well.
Detailed steps are below:
Step 1. Download the professional tool – AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it. And then, click Create Bootable Media under the Utilities tab.
Step 2. Select Bootable Disc Type. It’s recommended to select Windows PE. This option is suitable for everyone and offers you more operations than Linux.
Step 3. Select the boot mode for your disc and then click Next. If your computer is Legacy BIOS mode (system disk is of MBR partition style), you can tick Create legacy bootable disc. If not, you should tick Create UEFI bootable disc.
Step 4. Tick USB Boot Device and then click Next to move on.
Step 5. Wait for the process and click Finish when it reaches to 100%.
Step 6. Connect the bootable USB to your computer and check if your computer can boot successfully.
AOMEI Backupper is the last resort to fix Windows 10 bootable USB not working. It can help you create a new bootable media in simple ways. And a bootable drive can boot from all kinds of Windows operating system, including Windows 7/8/10/XP. You do not need to create a bootable drive for every computer. Besides, you can clone USB boot drive with the software when necessary.
Besides, AOMEI Backupper can help you do many things, such as, backup system, backup files, clone system, clone partition, etc. However, you will find that some features are only available on the paid version. In this case, you are supposed to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional. If you use a server-based computer, you need to download AOMEI Backupper Server.