Why migrate from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?
First, let's talk about HDD and SSD. Compared with HDD, SSD has many advantages:
- The data on the SSD can be read and written faster because the store way is different from that of the traditional HDD.
- The data on SSD is safer than HDD.
- There is no noise of metal platter spinning.
- The SSD can work under more serious environment compared with HDD (the SSD can work normal between -10 to 70℃ while HDD can work between 5 to 50℃).
Next, we talk about MBR and GPT. MBR and GPT both apply to file system but with so many differences, such as followings:
- MBR disk only supports up to 2TB partition size. Once partition size surpasses 2TB, the excess part cannot be read or displayed. However, GPT disk is capable of very large size.
- MBR only allows four primary partitions at most. If more partitions are needed, you have to build a secondary structure known as extended partition and then create logical partitions within it. However, GPT disk allows a maximum of 128 primary partitions.
For you, transfer Windows 10 from HDD to SSD will get a better performance and a larger SSD will avoid many problems caused by insufficient space of the drive. Besides, only GPT partition style can make full use of your disk space and support more primary partitions as you need.
Migrate Windows 10 from MBR HDD to GPT SSD with AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper Professional is a powerful software. When you migrate Windows 10 to new drive, whether the file systems or disk types are the same or not, you can use AOMEI Backupper to easily achieve the migration job.
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Backupper. Select “System Clone” under “Clone” tab.
Step 2. The program will automatically select the system partitions, and you only need to select the GPT SSD as destination location. If the SSD is not empty, the program will prompt you all data on the destination partition will be deleted. Click "Next" to continue.
Step 3. Here is the operation preview. "Sector by sector clone" is optional and we suggest you choose "Align partition to optimize for SSD" so as to optimize your SSD disk’s write\read speed. Then, click "Start Clone".
Tips: Make sure your current operating system is 64 bit, because only 64 bit system supports boot from GPT disk.
AOMEI Backupper is a powerful and convenient clone software, which can help to easily migrate Windows 10 from MBR HDD to GPT SSD. Besides, it supports all versions of Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP. Apart from clone function, it also enables you to backup system, disk, and files. Don't hesitate to get this tool!