About Windows 10 Hard Drive Clone
Cloning a hard drive allows you to copy all the data on a disk to another one. It is widely used among desktop PC and Laptop users, when they want to upgrade old small hard disk to a new larger one or Solid State Drive (SSD), or make a disk backup to avoid data loss caused by virus, hardware failure or other reasons.
It is well acknowledged that you can backup data with Windows 10 backup software, but you can only access data when you recover them, and there may be secondary damage during recovery. So as for protecting data from losing in Windows 10, it is better for you to clone hard drive.
Clone Hard Drive in Windows 10 with FREE AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free backup software, which allows you to clone hard drive even from a large disk to a smaller one easily and without interrupting running programs in Windows 10. Usually, this software only clones the existing data on hard disk, but it provides a "Sector by sector" option which is able to clone the data you have deleted. Besides, it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10.
Before you do:
- All the data on the target hard drive or SSD will be covered after cloning, therefore you'd better make sure whether there is any important data on the target disk, if there is, please backup files to external hard drive in advance.
- If AOMEI Backupper has been used under the Windows operating system, the system disk can only be set as the source disk, but cannot be set as the target disk.
- If the target disk is a dynamic disk, you have to convert dynamic disk to basic disk first.
To migrate only operating system to other disk or a new SSD, please use "System Clone" in AOMEI Backupper Pro edition. It saves a lot of time and energy without losing installed applications and drivers. Just upgrade to the professional edition to enjoy more advanced features.
To clone Windows 10 to SSD or new hard drive:
Step1: Download, install and open AOMEI Backupper Standard. Click Clone on the left interface and then choose Disk Clone.
Step2: Select the source hard drive you plan to clone (here is Disk0) and then click Next to continue.
Step3: In the following window, select the target hard drive (it can be an HDD or SSD, here is Disk1) and click Next to go on.
Step4: Click Start Clone in the next window.
- "Edit the partitions on the destination disk" allows you to resize partitions to use full capacity when cloning a small hard drive to larger hard drive.
- "Sector by sector clone" will clone all the space no matter it is used or not and it will take longer time.
- If you clone Windows 10 hard drive with sector by sector, you cannot resize partitions on the destination disk. However, you can resize partitions with AOMEI Partition Assistant after hard drive cloning is completed.
- If you clone a large HDD to a smaller SSD (e.g. 500GB to 250GB), please DO NOT using "Sector by sector clone" and make sure the data on HDD is equal to or smaller than the capacity of SSD.
- "Align partition to optimize for SSD" will improve the performance if the destination disk is an SSD, you can choose this option.
Step5: When the progress is 100%, please click Finish to exit the interface.
The easy-to-use interface of AOMEI Backupper Standard makes you clone hard drive in Windows 10 easily. Besides, this software is also a backup software which enables you to do system backup, files backup, partition backup, disk backup and more.
If you want to upgrade a laptop hard drive and you do not have the cables to connect the new drive as a second drive, then you can consider using the backup and restore feature to migrate data to the new hard drive or SSD.