Benefit from Windows 10 Hard Drive Clone
To clone hard drive in Windows 10, you will copy all the data on a disk to another one. It is widely used among desktop PC and Laptop users, when they want to upgrade old small hard disk to a new larger one or Solid State Drive (SSD), or make a disk backup to avoid data loss caused by virus, hardware failure or other reasons.
It is well acknowledged that you can backup data with Windows 10 backup software, but you can only access data when you recover them, and there may be secondary damage during recovery. So as for protecting data from losing in Windows 10, it is better for you to clone hard drive. Then, what’s the exact way to clone HDD in Windows 10?
Clone Windows 10 Hard Drive with FREE AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper Standard is reliable disk cloning, which allows you to clone hard drive in Windows 10 free of worry, even from a large disk to a smaller one easily and without interrupting running programs in Windows 10. Usually, this software only clones the existing data on hard disk, but it provides a "Sector by sector" option which is able to clone the data you have deleted or lost to the target drive. Besides, it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10.
To clone from smaller drive to large drive, AOMEI Backupper allows you to “fit all partitions to entire disk” in order to make full use of the additional space. Here will take cloning HDD to SSD in Windows 10 for example.
Before you do:
- All the data on the target hard drive or SSD will be covered after cloning, therefore you'd better make sure whether there is any important data on the target disk, if there is, please backup files to external hard drive in advance.
- If the target disk is a dynamic disk, you have to convert dynamic disk to basic disk first.
To migrate Windows 10 to new hard drive or a new SSD (OS drive only), please use "System Clone" in AOMEI Backupper Pro. It saves a lot of time and energy without losing installed applications and drivers. Just upgrade to the professional edition to enjoy more advanced features.
How to Perform Windows 10 Disk Clone to SSD or New Hard Drive?
1. Download, install and open AOMEI Backupper Standard. Click Clone on the left interface and then choose Disk Clone.
2. Select the source hard drive you plan to clone (here is Disk0) and then click Next to continue.
3. In the following window, select the target hard drive (it can be an HDD or SSD, here is Disk1) and click Next to go on.
4. Click Start Clone to execute after your confirmation.
- "Edit the partitions on the destination disk" allows you to resize partitions to use full capacity when cloning a small hard drive to larger hard drive.
- "Sector by sector clone" will clone all the space no matter it is used or not and it will take longer time.
- If you do disk copy in Windows 10 with sector by sector, you cannot resize partitions on the destination disk. However, you can resize partitions with AOMEI Partition Assistant after hard drive cloning is completed.
- If you clone a large HDD to a smaller SSD (e.g. 500GB to 250GB), please DO NOT using "Sector by sector clone" and make sure the data on HDD is equal to or smaller than the capacity of SSD.
- "Align partition to optimize for SSD" will improve the performance if the destination disk is an SSD, you can choose this option.
5. When the progress reaches 100%, please click Finish to exit the interface.
6. (Optional) If you just cloned Windows 10 system disk to SSD or new hard drive, you have two methods to ensure secure boot. The first method is to shut down your machine, disconnect current hard drive and keep only cloned disk connected in Windows 10 and then boot. The second one is to reboot your PC and enter into BIOS to change the boot priority to the cloned disk.
If AOMEI Backupper has been used under the Windows operating system, the system disk can only be set as the source disk, but cannot be set as the target disk.
To clone MBR to GPT disk, you need to change Legacy to UEFI, and vice versa.
The easy-to-use interface of AOMEI Backupper Standard makes you clone hard drive in Windows 10 easily. Besides, this software is also a backup software which enables you to do system backup, files backup, partition backup, disk backup and more. To clone hard drive in Windows Server, please refer to AOMEI Backupper Server edition.
If you want to upgrade a laptop hard drive and you do not have the cables to connect the new drive as a second drive, then you can consider using the backup and restore feature to migrate data to the new hard drive or SSD. For detailed steps with screenshots, please visit how to restore Windows 10 image to new hard drive.