Why should you sync OneDrive to an external hard drive?
OneDrive is a very useful cloud storage drive that helps you to manage your personal files everywhere on any platform. With the OneDrive application installed, your files saved in the cloud will be sync to your local storage in real-time.
If you constantly need to use those files on different devices, you can sync the OneDrive folder to a removable storage device just in case of the internet network offline.
In the event of files corruptions of ransomware virus infection, if the OneDrive files are encrypted or corrupted, they will automatically be synced to the OneDrive cloud. To avoid unexpected data loss, you should backup your OneDrive folder offsite for an extra layer of data protection.
Free tool to sync OneDrive to external drive
AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free reliable file and folder sync tool that allows you to sync OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive files to computer and vice versa in Windows 10/8/7. you can set up a One-way sync task to sync some or all files in the OneDrive folder to the removable storage device.
If you want the files to be synchronized automatically, you can add a schedule to run the sync task or sync the OneDrive folder in real time (available in Professional edition). You can also use this free file sync tool to create multiple sync tasks to sync another folder other than OneDrive folder.
Detailed step for Sync OneDrive folder to USB drive
Assuming you have the OneDrive desktop app installed and configured, then you can follow the steps below to sync OneDrive to external drive while keeping the OneDrive folder
1. Download and install this free folder sync tool AOMEI Backupper.
2. At the main console, click Backup and scroll down the menu to find File Sync.
3. In the File Sync screen, click Add Folder and then Browse to select the OneDrive folder as the source folder to be synced. If you do not want to sync the whole OneDrive folder, you can select one or more subfolders as the source folder.
Tips: You can exclude some subfolders if files with a certain file extension that you don’t want to sync, which is available in AOMEI Backupper Professional edition.
4. Click “Step2” to select a folder on your external hard drive as the destination path.
5. Click Schedule to configure an automatic sync task if need be. For more options like email notification, you can click Sync Options. After that, click Start Sync.
Then the content in the OneDrive folder will be synced to your external drive as you configured. Besides file and folder sync, this free software provides other features like file backup, system backup, hard drive clone, and many more.
Move OneDrive folder to an external hard drive
If you do not want to keep the original OneDrive folder. You can redirect the OneDrive folder to other location. If you have not changed the OneDrive settings, OneDrive folder is located in C: drive. If the system drive gets corrupted, it may also corrupt the files in OneDrive folder.
Since the local OneDrive folder will automatically sync to the cloud, you are at the risk of losing your files should something happens to your local OneDrive folder. For better protecting your data, you should transfer OneDrive folder to USB external drive.
1.Right-click on the OneDrive taskbar icon as the screenshot below and then select Settings.
2. Click the Account tab, and select Unlink this PC. A OneDrive setup screen will pop out, and then you just ignore it for now.
3. Open File Explorer and locate your OneDrive folder. Then click the “Move to” button and then select a folder on the external hard drive.
4. When all the content in the OneDrive are moved to the external drive, bring out the OneDrive setup screen, and sign in with your OneDrive account.
5. In the This is your OneDrive folder screen, click the link “Change location." Then select the new OneDrive folder location and click Use this location.
As mentioned, the default OneDrive folder location is not ideal for your data protection, so you should either sync OneDrive to an external hard drive with the original OneDrive folder intact or move the OneDrive folder to external drive.