As long as you click on this article, you have a need of cloning disk. You can choose to clone disk to larger disk, but why you need to clone hard drive to ssd? Don't worry. I'll show you some reasons in the following.
Why need to clone HDD to SSD?
1. Get a better performance. If you just clone hard drive to a larger one, you can only get a big capacity. As time goes by, you will have more and more personal data and programs, all of which will make your computer run slower and slower. Thus, you'd better choose to clone your hard drive to SSD at first. Compared with HDD, SSD is more durable, faster, lighter, quieter, cooler and it consumes less power.
2. SSDs are relatively affordable nowdays. In the past time, you need to consider the price of buying an SSD, but now it's different. You can afford it. You can use PCI-Express, mSATA and M.2 SSD besides regular SATA SSD. Many popular SSDs like Samsung 970 EVO, Samsung M.2, WD Blue, Mushkin Reactor, PNY SSD, etc. are available on the market.
What you need to prepare？
To clone HDD to SSD, you will need the following things.
1. Prepare an old HDD with OS installed. In general, you can only boot the computer from a disk with OS. If the operating system is damaged or deleted, you cannot boot the computer as normal unless you have a bootable media.
2. Get a new SSD to save the OS on the old HDD. Only when you clone the operating system on HDD to SSD, you can boot from the SSD disk.
3. Create a disk bakcup to ensure security of your computer and personal data. You cannot expect what will happen, thus you need to create a backup at first. If something unexpected happens, you can restore your computer to the backup state.
4. A disk cloning software. Disk cloning software is the most important thing during the cloning process. If you use the right software, all the process are simple and easy to operate. I recommend you free AOMEI Backupper Standard.
How to clone HDD to SSD in Windows 7/8/10 without reinstalling?
AOMEI Backupper Standard: software to clone hard drive to SSD
As a disk cloning software, AOMEI Backupper Standard, is able to clone hard drive to SSD, even with smaller capacity in a few clicks. What's more, it has the ability to edit partitions on the destination disk, no need to worry that your SSD does not match for the HDD.
As we know, SSD has different structures so partitions need to be aligned along the SSD block boundaries during cloning. With the option - Align partition to optimize for SSD, there is no need to worry that the speed of cloned SSD as well as the alignment. Besides, with volume shadow copy service (VSS) technology, there is no need to worry that it will interrupt your work.
AOMEI Backupper will check out whether the space on destination disk is sufficient or not before starting to clone hard drive to SSD. If not, you can slim your HDD by removing data to another storage device or use system clone (supported by superior versions) to only migrate your operating system (OS) to the SSD instead. It is supported by Windows 10, 8/8.1, 7, XP and Vista.
Step by step guide to clone hard drive to SSD
You can either install the SSD in the second drive bay or connect it with a USB-to-SATA adapter. As long as the space on the SSD is sufficient for all the data on the source disk, you can follow the steps below to clone hard disk to SSD. Continue to see below and try it by yourself.
1. Download and install the HDD to SSD clone software on your computer, connect the new SSD.
2. Run this program and go to the "Clone" -> "Disk Clone" option.
3. Select the original hard drive as the source disk that you are going to clone, and click on "Next". All the hard disks that can be recognized by your computer will be shown in the program except dynamic disk which is not supported to clone the entire disk.
4. Choose the SSD as destination disk, and then click on the "Next". Note that all data (if there is) on the destination disk will be deleted before cloning, you need to create a backup.
5. Tick Align partition to optimize for SSD. This option can accelerate the reading and writting speed of the SSD disk.
6. Click "Start Clone" to begin.
If you have cloned system disk and want to boot from cloned SSD, please shut down your PC, replace hard drive with SSD or change boot order in BIOS.
Don't format the old HDD until you can boot successfully from the new SSD.
To perform system clone to SSD, please upgrade to superior versions.
This software is also applied to clone laptop hard drive to SSD, clone dell hard drive to SSD, clone hard drive to SSD Samsung, etc.
More about this free hard drive cloning software
Apart from cloning hard drive to SSD, the following lists are the main functions of AOMEI Backupper Standard:
- System backup, disk backup, partition backup, files backup and recovery.
- Full backup, incremental backup, differential backup, and automatic (schedule) backups.
- Create bootable rescue USB drive or CD/DVD disc in case of system failure.
Synchronize files and folders automatically with a schedule. Real-time file sync is available in its advanced version.
One more thing, AOMEI Backupper Standard is completely free for personal and commercial use. Go for it and clone hard drive to SSD now.