Why do you clone Dell hard drive to SSD?
The main purpose of cloning HDD to SSD is to upgrade hard drive and get better performance, such as fast running speed, noiseless work environment and disk array for advanced users, so as to Dell computer users. SSDs are more and more popular among a mast of computer users. Most of them use SSD for OS and HDD for storage while in laptops say Dell XPS it is not that easy. The majority of laptop is created with only one internal disk bay, Dell is no exception. From convenient and security perspective, it is not advised to add external hard drive to laptops. Therefore, clone Dell HDD to SSD is the best way of experiencing SSD.
Hard drive failure also can lead to disk upgrade. If you purchase Dell PC a few years ago, it is time to replace the old hard drive with new one. The process of replacing needs hard drive cloning in most cases. What’s more, clone Dell hard drive in Windows 7/8/10 actually provides an intact duplication for you. This backs your OS and data up and you can get system back to life any time with this copy. Well, how to clone Dell hard drive to SSD on earth? Let’s go further.
Choose the right tool to clone Dell hard drive
When it comes to Dell hard drive cloning, especially Dell laptop hard drive cloning, a cloning tool is the essential part. This cloning utility should be able to clone the entire HDD completely, including all hidden and displaying partitions. As we know, Dell PCs have an OEM partition i.e. recovery partition which contains the system recovery files.
However, this recovery partition is set hidden and you cannot read it in Windows Explorer or Finder. The cloning software you choose should be professional enough and powerful enough that can clone Dell hard drive with recovery partition to SSD. Besides, cloning Dell hard drive to SSD in laptop with secure boot also requires stable cloning software.
AOMEI Backupper Professional is the best choice to clone Dell laptop hard drive. It is specially designed for Windows-based PCs, including Windows 10/8/8.1/7/XP and Windows Vista. This cloning tool has Disk Clone, System Clone and Partition Clone features and the first one is the exact function that you’ll need under this circumstance.
In addition, AOMEI Backupper provides sector by sector clone and intelligent clone options during the cloning, and the latter option allows you to clone large hard drive to smaller one because it will clone only used part on the disk. No need to elaborate more, just download this software and learn how to perform Dell migrates to SSD.
How to clone Dell hard drive to SSD with secure boot step by step?
In the first place, connect SSD to your computer and make sure it can be recognized by Windows. To mount the SSD in laptops, you’ll need an external enclosure or USB-to-SATA cable.
1. Install and launch AOMEI Backupper Professional. Click Clone and then Disk Clone.
2. Select current hard drive in Dell as the source disk.
3. Select the SSD as the destination disk.
4. Set the last configuration. If you want to keep partition status on SSD as same as current HDD, check Sector by sector clone box. The only requirement of which is the SSD should be equal to or larger than HDD. Then, click Start Clone and wait for the process to be completed.
5. Remove current HDD and boot Dell off new SSD. Be careful and patient when you replace HDD with SSD in laptops. A Phillips #0 screwdriver could be a handy helper in uninstalling HDD.
- Tick Align partition to optimize for SSD box will improve the reading and writing speed as well as extend SSD’s lifespan.
- If you clone from GPT HDD to MBR disk, the partition amount should be no more than 3. If it overpasses 3, merge partition without data loss to reduce the amount ahead of time. Or clone left partitions to SSD with Partition Clone.
- You may want to reformat the HDD and use it as second storage after cloning.
- If you don’t have tool to connect SSD to Dell laptop, it is suggested to backup HDD to another place, replace HDD with SSD and then restore disk image to SSD. For more detailed operations, please refer to Acer laptop SSD upgrade.
No matter in desktop or laptop, clone Dell hard drive to SSD requires professional and reliable software. The cloning time varies according to the size of your used part. Normally, sector by sector clone takes up more time. Except for cloning HDD in computer, AOMEI Backupper also supports copy USB to USB in Windows. This software is excellent backup solution as well since it is good alternative to Windows 7 Backup and Restore, so you can keep it on Dell for extra layer of protection. Besides, it allows you to backup external hard drive to another external hard drive for file transferring or data protection.