When trying to create a backup that contains a volume beyond 2088958 Megabytes (2TB) with Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2, you may receive an error message saying "Volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected.".
Windows Server Backup creates a virtual hard disk (VHD) file for each volume included in the backup. A VHD file is easy to mount and restore, but it has a 2TB limit in size. Therefore, volumes larger than 2TB cannot be protected.
Microsoft has realized this problem, so VHDX file that supports maximum of 64TB was introduced in Windows Server 2012. To fix this problem, you can upgrade your Windows Server to Server 2012 or newer version. If you do not want an upgrade, there is also a workaround for Windows Server 2008R2, which is to make a partial volume backup instead of full volume backup.
Open Windows Server Backup, and click on “Backup Once” or “Backup Schedule” to set up a backup job.
2. Follow the wizard to configure the backup, and in the Select Backup Configuration screen, select Custom instead of Full server.
3. Add all the items on the volume that is large than 2TB.
4. Then specify where to save the backup.
5. In the confirmation screen, click “Backup” to start the backup process.
You can also create files and folders backup with Wbadmin from command line. However, in Windows Server 2008, you can only include full volumes in the backup with Windows Server Backup. In that case, you can use third party software to lift the Windows Server Backup limitations.
Windows Server Backup alternative
AOMEI Backupper Server is a backup and restore program for Windows Server 2008/2008R2/2012/2012R2 that has many advanced backup features. Providing System Backup, Disk Backup, Partition Backup and File Backup, no matter what you to backup, it will do just as you desire.
The main features are listed below:
- Schedule backup and full/incremental/differential backups, all the important data will be backed up as scheduled while taking a little disk space.
- Support for lot of storage devices as well as file systems, you do not need to worry about any partition cannot be protected or destination location not available.
- Dissimilar hardware restore, transfer your server system to another server with dissimilar hardware when needed.
- System/Disk/Partition Clone, you can transfer OS or whole hard drive to SSD or another storage device.
- Disk Space Management, automatically delete the previous obsolete image files while keeping the protected data intact.
- Other backup options including compression, encryption, image splitting, email notification and more.
Besides, it provides an intuitive user-friendly interface so that anyone can easily use it for backup and recovery job. What's more, it does not have a actual size limit for volume to be backed up, so you will never have the problem that volumes larger than 2088958 megabytes cannot be protected. Apart from backup, this software also allows you to clone HDD to SSD in order to protect your data. Now, you can free download AOMEI Backupper Server for a 30-day trial.