When you trying to clone or restore from a backup using Clonezilla, the process may fail, leaving an error message saying that Clonezilla this disk contains mismatched GPT and MBT partition. This error is often met on a computer that has both Mac OS and Windows system installed on.
If you are a Mac users and then you install Windows on the same disk with Chameleon Boot Loader to create a boot menu, in this process, it may have created a protective MBR partition on the GPT disk for you to boot Windows. Although Clonezilla has GPT support, it cannot handle such GPT disk with protective MBR partition or MBR disk with protective GPT partition, nor does it work with hybrid MBR disks. Therefore, Clonezilla fails with mbr/gpt mismatch error.
Since Clonezilla has GPT support, you can either keep only GPT partition table or MBR partition table to get Clonezilla to work. To do that, you run a few commands using Gdisk to delete MBR or GPT protective data.
1. Type the command “sudo gdisk /dev/sda” (/dev/sdx represent the disk name)
2. Then it will show your disk informations as below:
Found valid MBR and GPT. Which do you want to use?
(1 – GPT
(2 – MBR
(3 - Create blank GPT
3. If you sure your disk is GPT, then choose 1. If it is MBR, choose 2. Do not select 3 because it will delete all partitions on your disk.
4. Then type in “x” to delete MBR/GPT data, and make sure you enter Expert mode.
5. Then the program will ask you to confirm the operations whether you want to wipe out MBR/GPT data. Type “Y” to proceed.
6. Finally, you have got rid of the GPT/MBR data, and you can create partition with the free space.
After all these steps, you should be able to run Clonezilla to clone or restore without getting clonezilla mbr/gpt mismatched error. If however, Clonezilla still fails, you can switch to another free program that has the same features with Clonezilla to do what you do.
Alternative software to clone or backup
Just like Clonezilla, AOMEI Backupper Standard also provides imaging and cloning features for Windows 10/8/7 that completely support GPT and MBR disks.
AOMEI Backupper backup and recovery features
1. Many types of backup solutions including system backup, disk backup, file backup and disk backup.
2. Schedule/automatic backup to help you backup your data regularly.
3. Incremental and differential backup to run backup faster and save more space while keeping multiple versions of backup.
4. Hot backup to backup data while files are open.
5. Offline restore to recover your computer when it is unbootable.
AOMEI Backupper cloning features
1. Clone larger hard drive to small one.
2. Clone MBR disk to GPT disk or clone GPT to MBR disk.
3. Online cloning to clone partitions that are mounted.
For its compatibility, you will never encounter any problem like Clonezilla this disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR, when you use AOMEI Backupper to clone or restore.
If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.