When it comes to cloning hard drive with different size, you may think about cloning large HDD to smaller SSD or cloning 500GB HDD to 1TB HDD or SSD. Here are two related situations:
Situation 1. How to clone large hard drive to smaller SSD?
I have a 1TB HDD and 500GB SSD disk. I need to clone the 1TB HDD onto the 500GB hard drive, because my computer runs slowly. But I found many stand-alone cloners cannot clone large disk to smaller disk. I wonder if there's any way to do this operation. The size of both disks is not the same but the 1TB HDD only has 157GB used space.
Situation 2. Is it possible to clone disk to larger disk?
I have a 1TB and 500GB drive. I want to clone 500GB to 1TB. The 500GB has Windows installed on it. Is this possible to replace the 500GB with 1TB and boot computer successfully?
Before you start to clone hard drive with different size
In general, your computer will come with a hard drive. And you may want to replace it owing to capacity or performance issues. Before you switch out the old drive, you need to know something related to HDD and SSD.
1. In most cases, the logical sector size of HDD is 512 while the logical size of SSD is 4096. You need a cloning tool which is smart enough to clone hard drive with different logical sector size.
2. SSD disk is smaller than HDD in most situations. It's a little tricky for users to clone large HDD to smaller SSD. You need a magic disk cloning software which can only clone the used space on the original hard drive.
3. Unallocated space after cloning smaller disk to larger disk. In general, after you clone HDD to larger SSD, the space between small disk and large disk will be marked as unallocated space. Disk Management only shows the cloned part. For example, if you clone 500GB to 1TB, you can only see 500GB in the Disk Management and the extra space will show as unallocated space.
How to clone hard drive to different size (easy and free)?
There are many cloning programs available on the Internet that can clone hard drive with the same sector size, but a few tools can clone hard drive of different sizes. Some users may introduce you to clone HDD to smaller SSD using Clonezilla. But it only allows you to clone hard drive with same or larger size. To save your time and effort, I highly recommend you free AOMEI Backupper.
With AOMEI Backupper, you can clone disk to larger disk. And if the cloned hard drive shows wrong size, you can fit partitions on the destination disk. You can also optimize the reading and writing speed of the destination disk if it is an SSD.
What's more, AOMEI Backupper allows you to clone large HDD to smaller SSD as long as the used space on the hard drive is smaller than or equal to SSD. If the space on the SSD is not big enough to hold the data on the old hard drive, you may upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional to clone OS partition only. The advanced vision supports both GPT disk and MBR disk: you can clone GPT disk to smaller SSD, and also you can clone MBR disk to GPT.
Before you start clone, you need to download free AOMEI Backupper and launch it.
Clone large HDD to smaller SSD step by step
Step 1. Connect SSD to the computer and make sure it can be recognized.
Step 2. Click Disk Clone under the Clone tab.
Step 3. Select the large hard drive as the source disk and click Next.
Step 4. Select the smaller SSD you plug in before as the destination disk and click Next.
Step 5. Preview and click Start Clone to run the pending operation.
1. Since the destination disk is an SSD, you should tick Align partition to optimize for SSD. It can accelerate the reading and writing speed for SSD disks.
2. Please do not check Sector by sector clone. It requires that the size of the destination disk must be greater than or equal to the source disk.
Clone 500GB HDD to 1TB HDD or SSD in detail
Step 1. Plug 1TB HDD or SSD into your computer and ensure it can be detected.
Step 2. Click Disk Clone as mentioned above.
Step 3. Select 500GB HDD as the source disk and click Next.
Step 4. Select 1TB HDD or SSD as the destination disk and click Next.
Step 5. Click Edit partitions on the destination disk, and then select Add unused space to all partitions. This operation can avoid unallocated space after cloning 500GB to 1TB. If you want to manually adjust partition size, you can enjoy the feature in AOMEI Backupper Pro.
Step 6. Click Start Clone.
Wrapping things up
AOMEI Backupper is a great choice for you to clone hard drive with different size. You can use it to clone large HDD to smaller SSD if the used space is smaller than or equal to SSD disk. Even if your SSD disk cannot hold all the data on the hard drive, you still can remove something unimportant and then perform disk clone.
Also, you can use it to clone 500GB to 1TB HDD or SSD. It can avoid the cloned hard drive different size not right issue. In brief, your disk will show full capacity and extra unallocated space won't remain after cloning disk to larger disk. Try AOMEI Backupper by yourself now!