You create a scheduled backup in Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016 for regular data backup, but Windows Server Backup schedule not running on schedule as expected. When you manually start the backup, it runs as successfully. This article will show you how to troubleshoot and fix this problem.
Many reasons could result in Windows backup schedule not working. Scheduled backup will fail when the target backup location is not available to write data to at the scheduled time. That the Volume Shadow Services and other related services are neither set to Automatic nor Started will also lead to scheduled backup unable to start. If you use Task Scheduler to run Windows Server Backup, the Task Scheduler service or settings may be the cause of scheduled backup failure.
Based on the above causes, you can check the methods below to fix the Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016 backup schedule not running problem.
1. Whether you want to backup to external hard drive or network share, make sure the destination location is well connected and you do have permission to write data to it.
2. Type “services.msc” in the Run box and press Enter to open Services. Then locate the Windows Server Backup service and Volume Shadow Services, and change the Startup type to Automatic.
3. If after that, schedule backup is not started as it should, you can write a wbadmin backup command or make a script batch file and then let Task Scheduler run it.
4. For those who are using Task Scheduler to run scheduled backup and it still fails, you can manually start the task to see if it works. If it backups successfully, you can check if the Task Scheduler service is set to Automatic and the task was set to Run whether user is logged on or not. If it fails after a manual start, you need to check if the wbadmin command is correct.
Alternative backup program
If Windows Server scheduled backup failed after trying all these steps, you may use another server backup program to run scheduled backup instead of Windows Server Backup. AOMEI Backupper Server is your best choice for it supports run scheduled backup with its own services or Windows Task Scheduler.
It provides multiple types of backup strategies. No matter what you want to backup, it will content you.
It lets you choose to do full/incremental/differential backup for the scheduled task as per your need.
It allows you to create multiple backup schedules daily/weekly/monthly/event triggers.
You can choose to save the backup on the hard drive, external hard drive, a network share, etc. without limitation.
Supports Windows Server 2003, 2008/R2, 2012/R2, SBS 2003, 2008, 2011 and Windows PC operating systems.
To create scheduled backup with AOMEI Backupper:
1. Download (30-day free trial) and run this software. For system is more convenient, system backup will be set as an example to show you how it works.
2. It will bring you the intuitive interface. Click Backup and then go to System Backup.
3. As you can see, the needed partitions have been included in “Step1”. You need just click “Step 2” to specify the backup destination location where the backup will be saved.
4. After that, click Schedule to enable a schedule to decide when to run the backup. The scheduled backup will be performed with incremental backups. If you need to change it, click the Advanced to configure.
5. Back to the System Backup screen and confirm the backup task. If no problem, click Start Backup to add or run this scheduled backup.
Note: For a scheduled backup, you can also enable Disk Space Management to automatically delete the old backups as your wish. Besides, many backup options like email notification, encryption are available.
That’s all for how to fix the Windows Server backup schedule not running problem. Hope one of the solutions can help you. Or if you still cannot fix the problem, just have a try on AOMEI Backupper Server to run scheduled backup in Windows Server. And if you want to protect unlimited PCs and servers within your company, you may choose AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus. It offers unlimited billable technical services to clients. It also enables you to copy installation directory for portable version creation.