I am trying to get a Windows Server 2012 box to backup to a NAS. However, Windows Server backup failed every time no matter what I select to backup (System State, BMR, single file etc), the job will fail giving an Incorrect Function error. Can anybody give some insight into what could be causing the Incorrect Function error?
Reason and solution for Windows Server Backup incorrect function
Sometimes, you may meet this situation. You receive the following error code when you try to back up files or folders by using Windows Server Backup: the backup process started but then failed with Windows Server Backup “Incorrect Function” and “There was a failure in preparing the backups image of one of the volume”.
What’s wrong with it and how to fix this? Let’s see the reason and solutions for this issue.
1. The issue occurs because the folders or libraries that you are trying to back up or restore include a reparse point. A file or directory can contain a reparse point, which is a collection of user-defined data. A reparse point may be used to point to a file that is temporarily relocated on a different drive. For example, a reparse point would allow a folder such as C:\DVD to point to Drive E, the actual DVD drive.
If the reparse point points to a volume that uses the FAT file system, it will cause this issue.
2. Windows Backup sometimes fails to read the last sector on the volume. You may receive windows server backup error incorrect function if the last sector is corrupted.
To deal with Windows Server Backup completed with warnings incorrect function caused by reason 1, you should remove the reparse point from the library, and then create a backup again. To back up content for this reparse point (in this case, the FAT volume or the mounted volume), select the absolute path of this location in the Windows Backup configuration user interface.
First, you should know where the reparse point folder is. To locate reparse point folder or its subfolder, do as the following.
Click Start button, type CMD in the Search program and files box and then press Enter.
In the Command Prompt window, type DIR /AL /S and then press Enter. The list of JUNCTION (one type of reparse point) list is displayed.
Note: You see several entries that say "junction" and the location to that the entries point. Junction point is another name for reparse point. When a program tries to write to a directory that is really a reparse point, those files are sent completely blindly to the other directory instead.
After you find reparse point, delete it. To delete mounted volume reparse point, follow these steps:
Step 1: Locate the reparse point you found, right click it and select Properties.
In the General tab, confirm the folder Type is Mounted Volume and then delete this folder.
To deal with Windows Server Backup failed to complete incorrect function caused by reason 2, you can try to shrink the volume, whose backup is failing, by several MBs. Do as the following steps to shrink volume.
1. Press Win+R and type “diskmgmt.msc” to open disk management. Right click the volume you need to shrink and select Shrink volume.
2. Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB and click Shrink.
An easy way to solve Windows Server backup Incorrect Function
If the solution mentioned avove does not solve the problem, or you think the solutions are complicated, you can try an easier solution – use a third party software. As a matter of fact, Windows Server Backup still leaves something to be satisfied.
When you try to backup using Windows Server Backup, you cannot use any volumes not formatted with NTFS as backup source or backup target. Besides, Windows Server Backup in 2008/2008 R2 cannot support volume greater than 2TB.
If you want to find an easy way to solve those issues, you can turn to AOMEI Backupper.
Windows Server backup software
AOMEI Backupper Server is a professional Windows Server backup and recovery software. With it, you can backup files and folder, partitions, hard disk or only system very easily. It allows you to backup file size large than 2 TB. Also, it supports both NTFS and FAT32 File System.
If you are tired to do backup as data changes in computer, you can set scheduled backup to backup at a pre-set time automatically.
If anything bad happens to your system or data, AOMEI Backupper allows you to restore your computer to its previous state with just a few clicks. You can even restore a system image backup to computer with dissimilar hardware.
Besides backup and restore, AOMEI Backupper Server also allows you to Migrate Windows 7 to SSD Without Reinstall Windows using System Clone function.
How to backup Windows Server with AOMEI Backupper
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper, and launch this software. It will bring you to the main interface.
2. Click “Backup” at the left panel, and choose “System Backup”.
3. You do not have to choose source partition, AOMEI Backupper has chosen it automatically for you in Step1. Just click “Step2” to select another location as the destination path to store your system image files. The destination location can be verified like internal hard drive, external hard drive and NAS.
Tips: There are three options, Backup Options, Schedule, and Scheme down there. You can click them to set incremental/differential backup, scheduled backup. etc . Then click “Start Backup” to start the backup.
With the help of AOMEI Backupper, you can backup and restore in a few clicks and do not have to worry Windows Server Backup incorrect function issue anymore.