Clone Hard Drive in Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016/2019
As the name suggests, hard drive cloning in Windows Server refers to copy the contents of a hard drive to another new hard drive or to an image file. It turns out to be an efficient way to transfer data and system in Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019, etc. Compared to the Windows built-in features of "copying" and "pasting", hard drive cloning owns better abilities.
For example, the operating system and some applications can not be merely migrated to another hard disk by simple "copying" and "pasting". By doing that, these programs will not work normally. Moreover, transferring large amount of data by Drag & Drop would cost a lot of time. Under this condition, a hard disk drive (HDD) software for Windows Server can play a significant role to clone hard drive or transfer data.
What Can You Benefit from Drive Cloning in Windows Server?
The usage of hard drive cloning, in my opinion, can be mainly classified into two types. One is to upgrade hard disk, and the other is to transfer operating system with the same configuration.
- As for the first usage, that means, this function can be used to upgrade hard disk by cloning old and small Server hard drive to a new and larger one. In addition, after installing operating system and necessary applications on a new computer, it is necessary for the users to backup system drive in Windows Server to an image file as a backup. When it is necessary, it can be used to avoid Windows reinstallation.
- As for OS transferring, it can be employed for both commercial use and personal use. That is to say, the cloned OS not only can be transferred to each computer within a company for commercial use, but also can be migrate to another PC for personal use with the same configuration.
- As for data backup, cloning allows you to create an exact copy of your hard drive. If your hard drive fails or system crashes, you can replace it.
How to Clone Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016/2019 Hard Drive?
As for the task of cloning hard drive of Windows Server, the trustworthy and efficient HDD cloning software – AOMEI Backupper Server is of great help. It has user-friendly interface and will help you clone Windows Server 2012 to new hard drive.
Besides, you are allowed to clone large drive to smaller disk on the condition that the target disk is able to contain all used data. Sector by sector clone technology takes up more time yet it will help you recover deleted and formatted data, which requires these section have not been overwritten. If you clone HDD of Windows Server 2008, 2003, 2012 to SSD, this software will align partitions to gain its peak performance.
This powerful tool supports all Windows Server operating systems including Server 2016, 2012, (SBS) 2011, 2003 as well as all mainstream personal OS like Windows 10, 8, 7.
Preparation for cloning hard drive:
- Connect a storage device (a hard disk drive or SSD) to your server and make sure it can be detected by Windows.
- Install and launch AOMEI Backupper Server.
Step 1. Click "Clone" option on the left tab and select "Disk Clone".
Step 2. The program will display all hard drives in your server. Here you need to select the source hard drive you want to clone from, and then click "Next" to continue.
Step 3. Here you need to select the destination hard drive to which you will clone source hard drive to, and then click "Next" to continue.
Step 4. Now you can preview the hard drive clone. To confirm the operation, click "Start Clone".
Step 5. On completion, you need to remove old hard drive to test if the new disk works or not. Or, you can change boot priority to the new disk in BIOS and boot from there. It is suggested to try the first method to test thoroughly.
AOMEI Backupper Server could be the best software to clone hard drive in Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2019. Sometimes, we’ll keep two disks installed in PC. It is a good idea to use SSD for OS only. If you want to clone Windows Server system drive to SSD only, the function “System Clone” will do you a big favor. For instance, clone Windows Server 2011 to new drive. If you want to migrate one or two data partitions to another disk, please turn to “Partition Clone”.
All in all, if you want to enhance the safety of data as well as the operating system, this simple and powerful clone software is undoubtedly the great solution. You could download this tool for cloning hard drive in Windows Server immediately.