“I want to mirror the boot drive on an installed Windows Server 2016. But I can’t figure out how to do this? It was simple in 2000+ but now things are different… I can see that you can create a storage space and mirror but how do you do it for the boot partition? Is there any suggestion?”
Why you need to mirror the boot drive in Windows Server 2016?
Before mirror boot disk in Windows Server 2016, you’d better figure out why you need to mirror the boot drive. For most computer users, the common reason of mirroring boot drive are as follows:
1. System migration: Mirror boot drive can migrate the system to a solid state disk (SSD), and the boot speed of the system on the SSD is very fast.
2. Upgrade the hard disk: Whether it is upgrading the hard disk to the SSD or upgrading the disk to a larger one, mirror boot drive by cloning system to a new hard drive can be a directly way.
3. Copy system partition: You can mirror boot drive in Windows Server 2016 before the system partition damaged. Also, you can clone the system on the MBR disk to the GPT disk, so that the system uses the EFI boot mode to avoid reinstalling the system.
4. System backup: Clone the system to another disk. When the system disk is broken, you can boot the machine from the mirrored drive immediately. When the system crash or the data is lost, users can restore the original system and data using the created image.
5. Rapid bare metal installation: Users can use the image deployment tool to rapidly install multiple computers. It can greatly save the time and cost of installing the system.
How to mirror boot drive in Windows Server 2016?
Puzzled about how to mirror boot drive in Windows Server 2016? Here provides you two methods to solve this problem.
Method 1. Server 2016 mirror boot drive with internal tools
This scenario is based on the assumption that the system and boot files are located on disk 0 and that disk 1 is unallocated space. To do this operation, you need at least two hard-disk drives; IDE, small computer system interface (SCSI), or mixed architecture is permissible. And the second drive must be at least the size of the volume on which the operating system boot and system files reside to permit mirroring.
1. Click “Start”, point to Administrative Tools, and then click “Computer Management” to open the Computer Management console.
2. Expand the storage node.
3. Click “Disk Management”
4. Right-click disk 0 (which contains the boot and system files), and then click “Add Mirror”.
5. A dialog box opens in which any disk on your system that is available for mirroring is displayed. Select the disk of your choice, and then click “Add Mirror”
Both disk 0 and disk 1 will now have the same color code, the same drive letter, and the volumes will have status note “Regenerating” displayed while the information is being copied from the first disk to the second disk. The system will automatically size the volume of the new mirror to the same size as that of the original boot and system volume.
6. If you now want to boot from the new mirrored drive, you have to change the Boot.ini ARC path that points the computer to the partition in which the system files are located.
Method 2. Server 2016 mirror boot drive with third party software
In addition to using the internal tools of Windows Server 2016 to mirror boot drive, here provides you a simple and effective method to do this operation – mirror the boot drive with a powerful third party software. And it can save much time for you. Compare with other third party software, I highly recommend AOMEI Backupper Server which provides you many powerful features like System Clone. You can use it to mirror the boot drive in Windows Server 2016 easily and effectively. The specific steps are as follows:
Step 1. Install and launch AOMEI Backupper Server, select “Clone” on the left sidebar and then click “System Clone”.
Step 2. In the next window, choose the destination partition (the C drive and System Reserved Partition are selected by default).
Step 3. After that, you will be noticed that the destination partition will be overwritten or deleted. You’d better backup it first if there are some important data on this partition. Then, preview the operation summary, and click “Start Clone”. Here we highly recommend you to tick “Align partition to optimize for SSD” at the bottom of the window because this feature could improve the speed of reading and writing as well as prolong the service life of SSD.
Step 4. At the cloning process interface, you can check “Shut down on completion” or manually shut down your PC after cloning completes. Now, you can remove your old hard drive that contains previous boot drive to test if you can boot from cloned mirror boot drive.
Follow this simple steps, you can easily mirror the boot drive in Windows Server 2016. AOMEI Backupper is such a powerful system clone software. Besides system clone, it also provides you many other powerful functions, such as Install the program on computers in the home and business environments, System Backup, System restore, Disk Clone, Incremental and Differential Backup, File Sync and so on.