When do you need to backup c drive?
First of all, you must know the importance of backing up. Backing up your digital data is like insurance is to driving, you need it even though you hope you will never use it. Backup helps to protect data from accidental loss if your server hard disk or storage media fails. If the data on your hard drive is accidentally deleted or overwritten or becomes inaccessible because of a hard disk break down, you can easily restore system or disk using the backup image.
Besides, Windows Server 2003 operating system and many applications are installed on C drive. The security of C drive affects the performing of the whole computer directly. There is no doubt that back up C drive is inevitable. It’s lucky that backup is a simple and easy thing. Well, how to backup C drive in a secure and speedy way? Is there any reliable backup software that available for Windows 2003 Server?
Solutions to backup C drive in Windows Server 2003
Normally, you will think about internal backup utility (NTBackup.exe) in Windows Server 2003. You can use NTBackup to backup directories, selected files, and System State data, including Windows Server 2003 operating system registry information. You can start this utility with “Start” -> “All Programs” -> “Accessories” -> “System Tools” -> “Backup”. Then you will see following window.
But there are some flaws of NTBackup. It is inevitable that system would produce a mass of files due to years working. But NTBackup is a backup and restore tool that based on files. That’s why it takes a lot of time when backing up a big size of data.
What’s more, if you want to restore the data that NTBackup created to dissimilar hard ware, you will find it barely succeed because of incompatible hard drive. And if you set this system as cluster systems, you seldom have chance to complete this task.
Therefore, you may wonder whether NTBackup have a replacement or alternative software or not? Thankfully, the answer is yes. AOMEI Backupper Server, easy and best Windows Server backup software to backup Server 2003 C drive, specified partitions, even the entire hard disk.
This program ensures business continuity with comprehensive protection by backing up everything automatically or manually before the system fails, and minimize the server downtime. By the way, it supports all Windows OS platform, like Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012(R2), SBS 2003, 2008, 2011 and Windows PC systems.
Step-by-step instructions to backup C drive in Windows Server 2003
In the first place, please download AOMEI Backupper Server edition. It has a 30-day free trial, so just enjoy it! Note that if you want to backup C drive to external hard drive, please insert the hard drive in advance.
1. Install AOMEI Backupper and start it. In the main interface, choose “Backup” on the left and select “System Backup”.
2. Edit task name, the program will automatically choose C drive as source, and you just need to choose a destination path. You even can backup it to NAS (Network Attached Storage) when necessary. Select “Start Backup” to perform this task.
3. Click “Finish” when the task has been completed.
- “Check backup integrity on completion” is to check whether the data is intact or not.
- “On completion Shut down PC” means to close down your computer when it has been finished.
- Five options offered for you to set backup configuration as you wish if you click “Backup Options” in the lower left corner. They are “General” “Compression” “Splitting” “Intelligent Sector” and “VSS”.
- If you check the box in front of “Schedule”, you can set up regular backup in “Daily”, “Weekly” and “Monthly” as well as backup type, like “Full Backup”, “Incremental Backup(Default)” and “Differential Backup”.
- With “Scheme” checked, you will see such windows as below. You can edit backup save types by checking “Enable Disk Space Management”.
All in all, back up C drive in Windows Server 2003 could be completed within three simple steps. Don’t take it wrong that it is troublesome and hard to realize backing up when the truth is pretty time saving and easy to handle. Further, you can clone hard disk in Windows Server 2003 with AOMEI Backupper Server, too.
More advanced features and useful utilities are inset in AOMEI Backupper. Some of them may not be used frequently, but you will find them very helpful when they are actually needed.