I have a problem
I need some help, guys. I have more than one computer with Windows 7 installed, I want to use my user profiles on these computers, and don’t want to create one by one. Can I set up one package for these profiles in Windows 7, and copy user profile in Windows 7 to another computer? Is there any way to do this in Windows 7?
Do you know the Microsoft Windows user profile? This is a term of describing Windows configuration for a specific user, including the user’s environment, user folders, shortcuts, program settings, desktop settings, etc.
The user profiles are located in the drive that Windows is installed, usually in C:\Users\Username folder.
How to migrate user profile to another computer in Windows 7/8/10?
To move user profiles from Windows 7 to another Windows-based computer, there are more than one solutions to help you, follow me. Starting from the easiest way, then increase the difficulty.
Sync user files with AOMEI Backupper
To create a copy of user profile, the easiest way is syncing user profiles with AOMEI Backupper Standard. Before syncing, you have to establish a local area network (LAN) and create a network share folder, then use it to copy profile from Windows 7 to another computer, like Windows 10/8/8.1/7/XP/Vista.
1. Download and install this freeware, and then open it.
2. Go to Backup tab, roll down the mouse, and choose File Sync.
3. Rename Task Name if required. Follow the Step1 to add user profiles, click Add Folder -> Browse, and then choose the user profile to add.
Tip: You could enable Filter settings to excluded the files or folders you don’t want to migrate, this function is provided by AOMEI Backupper Professional.
4. Choose the Step2 button -> Share/NAS -> Add Share or NAS device, enter the Share or NAS path and Display Name to connect the destination, and then hit OK.
5. Click Start Sync >> button to copy user profile from Windows 7 to Windows 10/8/8.1/7/XP/Vista.
Sync Options: You could comment this task, and enable email notification.
Schedule: You could set the task as a schedule task with daily, weekly, monthly to sync. The professional edition provides you the event-trigger and real-time file sync function to do this user profile copy.
After copying profile, you could install applications you needed, or backup installed programs without reinstalling with AOMEI Backupper.
Apart from this freeware, you could copy user profile to another one. And you have to log on as an administrator to copy Win 7 profile to Win 10 or another Windows-based computer.
Copy Profile with Windows Easy Transfer
Windows Easy Transfer is a file transfer program for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 to migrate personal files and settings from one computer to another, you could transfer files in these operating systems. Here is how it works:
1. Click Start button, input Windows Easy Transfer, choose the item and run as administrator.
2. You will see the window like so:
3. It can move user accounts, documents, email, music, pictures, etc. And then click Next.
4. You have three options to transfer user files, choose one of them, and then follow instructions to migrate user profiles.
However, it has some shortcomings: It does not transfer applications, only files and most settings. Meanwhile, it’s not applied to Windows 10.
View Advanced System Settings
Transfer user profiles in Windows 7/8/10 with View Advanced System Settings, detailed steps are:
1. Click Start button, input View Advanced System Settings, select the item and run as administrator.
2. A window shows up, and click Settings.
3. Choose one user profile (your user profile or default profile), select Copy To.
4. Specify a location to save user profile, click OK.
Tip: The destination will be overwritten after copying, please backup first if needed.
Sometimes, you might encounter the Windows 7 user profile copy to grayed out issue while you migrate within the same computer. Remember that you could not copy the profile you’re currently logged on as.
You could manually transfer local user profiles from Windows 7 to another newly installed computer with Windows 7/8/10 installed. Besides, you can try to use Backup and Restore to backup all the user profiles in Windows 7/8/10, and then restore it to another computer with ease.
Compared with these solutions, you will find AOMEI Backupper could be the best solution for copy user profile from Windows 7 to another computer, like Windows Vista, XP, 7,8,10. No tedious operations, save your time and aggravation. Until now, your problem should be fixed and could use the profile again.