Files missing after Windows 10 update 2018 (Version 1809)
A Microsoft user asked for help on the forum: Today, I update my Windows 10 with the Windows 10 October version 1809 update. However, I found all my files of 23 years in amount of 220GB were deleted somehow, files were located at C:/Users/rober/Documents/. It’s unbelievable, I have been using Microsoft products over 20 years, nothing like that that ever happened to me. This folder standing there with no files, I was so upset, please help me.
Although Microsoft has halted the Windows 10 version 1809 update, some users might still suffering from the huge data loss after this fall update.
Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809
This 1809 update was released at October 2, 2018, and paused after a few days due to user data loss. This is a serious Windows 10 upgrade bug so that it’s spread fast over the social media. The platforms Affected by this Windows 10 update vulnerability are:
Windows 10, version 1809
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2019
Windows 10 IoT Core, version 1809
Windows Server, version 1809
Windows Server 2019
The root cause of the issue has not been determined, but the files of Documents folders will be deleted is a fact after Windows 10 fall update data deletion bug. So, to check if the Windows 10 version 1809 update will delete your files during update, the only way is going to Documents folder to check out. If all your files stored there are disappeared. Unfortunately, you have to recover lost files in Windows 10 after 1809 update.
According to Microsoft, you could turn to these following ways to help:
1. Contact us directly at +1-800-MICROSOFT, or find a local number in your area.
2. If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don’t install it and wait until new media is available.
3. Cancel the pending update. The easiest way is to remove all the downloaded updated files, locate the files at the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (replace C: with the right letter if you have installed Windows 10 to other hard drive). Besides, you could go Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, find the Windows 10 update version 1809, and press Stop to cancel it.
These solutions cannot solve the fundamental problems. The emergent thing is recovery lost files after Windows 10 1809 update. You might want to restore lost files with the next solution.
Reliable Data Recovery Software - Recoverit
This powerful data recovery software – Recoverit will recovery all deleted files including photos, videos, documents, and so forth, restores your data from all data loss scenarios. Recoverit brings a record-high data recovery rate of more than 96%. It supports Windows operating system including Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP. Then next the detailed steps are listed below to help you to repair Windows 10 update missing files problem:
Before that, you could download the Recoverit software on your Windows 10. Then use it to recover the missing files with just 3 steps:
1. Choose Deleted Files Recovery mode on the main window.
Tip: Deleted Files Recovery mode applies to the scenarios: accidental deletion, “Shift+Del Deletion”, Power failures and other deletions.
2. Select a hard disk to restore lost files after Windows 10 1809 update, and hit Start.
3. Then the program will automatically scan all your missing files on your computer. Tick the deleted files you want to restore, click Recover.
Tip: You could find the missing files by the classification selection: File Types and File modified date. Or you could enter a name or path to search the Windows 10 missing files after 1809 update.
After a while, the Windows 10 update missing files problem will be repaired. It’s highly recommended to do Windows backup regularly in case of serious events. The free data backup and restore software – AOMEI Backupper Standard will do you a big favor, it applies to Windows operating system like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10. It allows you to backup, clone, sync data to local hard disk or external hard drive, like SSD, USB flash drive, clouds, network share, and NAS, etc. Then restore them if required.
On the daily life, developing good backup habits can reduce many unnecessary troubles. So, take backups, enjoy your life. Hope we are all free from data loss.