Overview of Windows 10 Backup and Restore
Windows 10 Backup and Restore utility as a Microsoft Windows component inherits the functionality of Windows 7, which allows you to backup and restore files as well as create system images. If you backup files or create system image with Backup and Restore in previous version of Windows, you could recover these backups in the event of hard drive or software failure in Windows 10.
In addition, Windows 10 also includes another backup and recovery tool - File History, it only backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. If you want to backup other files that in other locations, you can move it to one of these folders then backup it up. The best two destinations to save the backups are external hard drive (such as USB flash drive) and network location.
Compared the two backup solutions, both of them have their own strengths. You can choose the suitable way to backup files depends on your needs.
How to Backup and Restore Windows 10?
Create a backup
1. Type “Backup” in Windows 10 search box, select “Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” in the pop-up list.
2. In Windows 10 Backup and Restore utility, click “Set up backup”.
3. Choose a destination to save your backup image. Then hit “Next”.
4. Select a method you want to backup, “Let Windows choose (Recommanded)” or “Let me choose”, and press “Next”.
5. Select the item you want to backup, click “Next”. Ensure you have ticked “Include a system image of drives: EFI System Partition, (C:) ” option, and then hit “Next”.
6. Review your backup settings and click “Save settings and run backup”.
The backup will get started.
Restore the backup image
1. After you have backed up, you can choose “Restore my files” at Restore option.
2. Select the backup for files and folders to restore, go “Next”.
3. Choose a location to restore your files.
4. Click “Restore”.
Replacement for Windows 10 Backup and Restore
The easiest Windows 10 backup software is AOMEI Backupper Professional, which is best alternative to Windows 10 Backup and Restore that allows you to image system, hard disk, individual partition and restore backups in the event of system failure.
Why this software called the alternative to Windows 10 Backup and Restore (Windows 7)? Here are the reasons:
1. More flexible. AOMEI Backupper Professional not only a backup software but also a cloning software, allows you to clone system, hard disk, partition to other places.
2. More destination selection. It allows you to backup or clone to local disk, external hard drive, USB flash drive, NAS device, network share, cloud drives, etc.
3. More operations to image file. You can merge backup images, explore, compress, split, encrypt image, etc.
4. More built-in utilities. AOMEI Backupper Pro includes AOMEI PXE Boot tool, Create Bootable Media, and so on.
AOMEI Backupper Pro’s main features listed below:
- Full, incremental, differential backups.
- Migrating operating system to HDD or SSD without reinstalling.
- Dissimilar hardware restore
- Synchronize files and folders
- Command line backup
If you have problems to backup and restore with Windows 10 backup and restore or stuck in windows 10 backup and restore not working situation, you can try AOMEI Backupper Professional.