When need to restore a backup image to new hard drive?
Given that you have a laptop that can only hold one hard drive which is failing, how do you replace the hard drive without spending time reinstalling operating system (OS) and programs? In this case, you can back up Windows 10 to network or a removable storage device. If you ever want to replace or upgrade your hard drive, you can restore system backup to a new hard drive. Although the final version of Windows 10 has been released for a while, it still has many bugs reported by users, which is also one of the main reasons that users don’t want to upgrade to Windows 10. If you now are running Windows 10, it is essential backup your system and then you can restore Windows 10 image to new hard drive in the event of hard drive failure.
What do you need to prepare?
First, you need backup and restore software. AOMEI Backupper Standard, a reliable and easy to use backup freeware, can backup and restore system to another hard drive smoothly while Windows is running well. It also allows you to perform offline restore via bootable media or AOMEI PXE tool when your system is not working. What’s more, providing Universal Restore, AOMEI Backupper Standard enables you to restore system backup or disk backup to another computer with dissimilar hardware.
Second, you need an image backup of your Windows 10 system. For the thoughtful design and concise interface of AOMEI Backupper, it is easy to understand and only costs you a few clicks to create system image backup. It supports many file system including NTFS, FAT32, FAT16, EXT2, EXT3 and backing up to any locations that File Explorer detects including share folder over network, which makes the job extra easier.
Third, you need a new hard drive for restoring Windows 10 backup image.
Forth, if your computer can only hold one hard drive, you need create a bootable media to boot your computer.
Restore Windows 10 image to new hard drive with AOMEI Backupper
To restore Windows 10 image to new hard drive with AOMEI Backupper is quite convenient. The steps to restore Windows 10 to a new hard drive are listed below:
1. Launch AOMEI Backupper. If you use laptop, boot the bootable media created by AOMEI Backupper and install the new hard drive to your laptop. If have backed up to a removable device, connect it to your computer.
2. Under Restore tab, click Path to select the backup file you want to restore.
3. Select a restore point and check the option Restore system to other location. Then click Next to continue. If you set a scheduled full/incremental/differential backup task, there will be a few restore points that you can choose.
4. Select a destination partition you want to restore to and click Next. If it’s a brand new hard drive without initializing, just click the disk.
5. Click Start Restore to perform the restore.
If you don’t want to restore the whole backup to the destination hard drive, AOMEI Backupper also allows you to selectively restore files from a backup. Besides, you can also use System Clone of AOMEI Backupper to transfer Windows 10 to new hard drive. If you need to restore Winwdows 10 to another computer with dissimilar hardware, you can try AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition.