Automated Windows 10 updates delete all my documents and files
“Hello, all, I’m facing the problem that the automated Windows 10 updates delete all my documents and files. I was already using windows 10 and last night automated updates started without allowing me to stop them. This morning my computer is cleaned out with all those very important documents deleted! Can I recover them all?”
Actually, there are hundreds of users have the same question. But fortunately, there are some solutions to retrieve your files.
Solutions to automated Windows 10 update delete files
Files being lost after an update may be caused by different reasons. For example, if you are signed in with a temporary profile, or the files are moved to Windows.old folder. And you can do as the following methods to retrieve your files:
Method 1: resign into your account
1. Go to Settings -> Accounts.
2. Click Sync your settings on the left pane.
3. Check if you see a message at the top that states You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable, if yes, restart your computer then sign in again.
Note: We can't sign into your account. This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. can also be address by restarting your PC and signing in again.
You should back up everything you worked on since upgrading to an external drive, or it'll be deleted when you sign out of the temporary account.
Method 2:use troubleshooter to fix problems with search
Select the search box on the taskbar and search for your files. If you don’t see them and you’re not signed in with a temporary profile, use the troubleshooter to fix problems with Search. In the search box on the taskbar, type indexing -> select Indexing Options -> select the Advanced Administrator icon button to view more options, then select the Troubleshoot search and indexing link and follow the steps.
1. Some files might be hidden from view. In the search box, enter Show hidden files and folders. Under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Then try searching for your files again.
2. Look for all files of a certain type using the asterisk (*). For example, to search for all Word documents, search for *.doc. For music files, search for *.mp3.
When you upgraded to Windows 10, some of your files may have been moved. To check the location of files you find, press and hold (or right-click) the file and select Open file location. Copy any files you want to move to a different location.
Method 3: retrieve files from the Windows.old folder
To retrieve your files from the Windows.old folder, you can follow the steps below:
1. Press Windows + X simultaneously, click Search.
2. In the Search box, enter Computer in the search box, and then click Computer in the search results.
3. Double-click the drive that Windows is installed on (typically, the C: drive).
4. Double-click the Windows.old folder.
5. Double-click the Users folder.
6. Double-click your user name.
7. Open the folders that contain the files you want to retrieve.
8. Copy and paste the files that you want from each folder to a folder in Windows 10.
How to prevent files deleted after Windows update?
To prevent files deleted after Windows update, the most effective way should be make a data backup. It is not only for automated Windows 10 updates delete files, but also apply for Windows 8, Windows 7. Generally, a backup software can help you backup data easily. You can use the best free backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard to backup data in Windows 10/8/7. Once you meet the problem Windows automated update delete files, you can recover system and data immediately.
Before you do:
Install an external hard drive to your Windows computer if you need to backup to a physical storage device.
Free download AOMEI Backupper. Install it to your Windows 10/8/7.
AOMEI Backupper also allows you to backup data to NAS.
After preparing, you can try the steps below to backup data with AOMEI Backupper.
1. Launch AOMEI Backupper, click Backup to select backup types. Here we choose Disk Backup, which can backup all data on your computer.
2. Then, select the source disk (the disk you want to backup) and target disk (the external hard drive you plugged in before).
3. After that, you can click Start Backup to execute the task.
Once you backed up your computer before, you no need to worry about automated Windows 10 updates delete files, or any other situations that may cause data loss. Once the bad things happen, you can restore data from the backup image within a short time. Backup data is the best way for preventing data loss.
PS: to backup for Windows Server, you need to use AOMEI Backupper Server edition.