When you need bare metal restore
When you buy a new server to replace the old server machine that is out of date, you may want to keep the old operating system, for example, Windows Home Server (WHS) 2011, that you are used to. How do you do that ? You can perform a WHS 2011 Server migration to new hardware.
You can perform a server restore using the built-in backup and restore feature, which can be found in the Computers and Backup page of the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard, or third party server backup software that with dissimilar hardware restore feature.
Perform a server restore to dissimilar hardware
You should first create a full WHS 2011 server backup of the source server to an external hard drive or network location using the Set up Backup for this computer task in Dashboard.
1. Connect the external drive that has the server backup to the destination server and boot the server from a WHS 2011 installation DVD.
2. After loading Windows files, click the option Repair an existing installation instead of Install now.
3. At the next screen, select the image backup file.
4. Follow the wizard to set other specifications.
5. When the process is complete, click Close to restart the server.
Don’t forget to eject the DVD or change the primary boot order. As mentioned, you can also use backup and restore software to move WHS 2011 to another computer if you do not have an installation DVD.
WHS 2011 change hardware-Universal Restore
Universal Restore is a feature available in AOMEI Backupper Server that allows you to restore an entire system or hard drive to a new server with dissimilar hardware. You can create a bootable media (USB drive or DVD) or use AOMEI PXE boot feature to boot the destination machine.
1. Download and install AOMEI Backupper on your source server.
2. Create a system backup or disk backup to NAS network location or external hard drive.
3. Use the PXE boot feature or bootable disk to boot the destination server.
4. In the start screen, click "Restore".
5. In the next screen, select the Backup that you need to restore and click “Next”. If that backup is not showing, you can click “Path” to locate it.
6. Select a backup version, and then click "Next”. If you have created a lot of incremental backups or differential backups based on this full backup, you will have many backup versions.
6. Make sure the “Enable Universal Restore” option is checked and then click “Start Restore” to start the restoration.
In a short while, WHS 2011 server migration to new hardware will be complete. Then you can run your WHS 2011 on your new server. Now the free 30-day trial version is available.