Assuming that you have bought a new desktop, but you are very content with the operating system (OS) and all of your laptop. Therefore, you want to transfer OS from laptop to desktop. You may think of cloning hard drive of the laptop and install the cloned hard drive in the desktop, but this requires extra IT knowledge because of the different hardware and firmware between laptop and desktop. Is there a really simple way to move everything form a laptop to a desktop while keeping the desktop bootable?
Simple tool to move laptop to desktop
Luckily, Windows backup software AOMEI Backupper Professional allows you to do this trick with a few simple steps. AOMEI Backupper brings 4 kinds of backup methods, system backup, disk backup, file backup, and partition backup. It provides a feature Universal Restore that allows you to restore your system and everything form one computer to another regardless of its hardware or firmware.
Therefore, you can transfer laptop OS to desktop using AOMEI Backupper to back up your laptop and then restore it to your desktop. You don’t need to concern the drivers or anything, because it will automatically install the required boot drivers during the restoring process, and neglect the incompatible drivers from the backup.
How to install windows from laptop to desktop?
This process to transfer laptop system to desktop with AOMEI Backupper won’t cause you much effort. First off, you need a copy of AOMEI Backupper. Second, you need to create a system backup or disk backup of your laptop and save it to a removable storage device. Third, create a bootable rescue CD/DVD or USB disk, which is to boot your desktop to perform the restore. If you can manage to install AOMEI Backupper on your desktop, you can skip the bootable media.
To restore system from laptop to desktop:
1. Open AOMEI Backupper on your laptop, or boot up the computer from the bootable media you created. Both ways will lead you to the intuitive interface of AOMEI Backupper.
2. Connect the removable storage device where the backup wad saved to your desktop. Under “Restore” tab, click “Path” to select the backup of your laptop that you created before.
3. Click on the backup displayed in the box and click "Next".
4. Select a location on your hard drive of your desktop and then click "Next”.
5. Check the option "Enable Universal Restore", and then click "Start Restore" to start the process.
After this process complete, you can just boot the desktop from the hard drive. You can find that everything on your laptop has been transferred to this desktop. Besides the ability to transfer OS from laptop to desktop, AOMEI Backupper also has many other useful features, such as, PXE boot tool, file Sync, hard drive Clone, incremental/differential backups, etc.