Why migrate physical PC to Virtual Machine?
Most of Windows users know that there are existing many safety hazards potentially in some operations. Sometimes, an incorrect operation may let your system crash, even worse. To avoid this kind of problems, operate it on Virtual Machine is a wise way.
Virtual Machine such as VirtualBox, VMware, Hyper-V, Virtual PC provides running multiple OS in virtual environment. You can do nearly all the things you want to do in Virtual Machine if you worried about the physical PC’s safety.
How to migrate physical computer to Virtual Machine?
To convert physical computer to Virtual Machine, move the physical OS to Virtual Machine is the most effective way. However, how to do it?
AOMEI Backupper is a software designed by AOMEI TECH. It is a great powerful software which you can use it to migrate the OS to Virtual Machine no matter what operating system you are using, because it supports almost all the Windows PC OS and Server OS. For PC users, here we highly recommend you the Standard version, because it is free and it supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. With its easy-to-use interface, you can use it without any help alone.
Here it provides you the specific steps of migrating physical PC to Virtual Machine.
Before you do, there is something that you need to do.
● You need to install a Virtual Machine software like VMware Workstation first.
● Prepare a USB flash drive which volume is at least equal to the system size if your virtual Machine is on another computer.
If the Virtual Machine is on your computer:
Step1. Follow the guides to create a system backup image first and remember where you put the image in like a USB flash drive.
Step2. Create a bootable ISO file and save it on the local disk.
Step3. Start the Virtual Machine from the bootable ISO file. It will run AOMEI Backupper automatically. Then, click Restore to restore the system backup image to this Virtual Machine.
If the Virtual Machine is on another computer:
Step1. Create a system image and save it on your USB flash drive(other removable device is OK and you can even store it on NAS).
Step2. Make a bootable ISO file and put it on the USB flash drive.
Step3. Start the Virtual Machine from the bootable USB. Then, restore the system image to the Virtual Machine.
* To make a universal restore, you can select Universal Restore here and click Path to select the backup image.
* Then, select the file that you need to restore. Then select the destination space that you should restore the system image file on.
* Here you see that there are three sentences in the bottom of the page. The setting of “Edit the size of partition” is for you to resize the partition’s size. “Enable Universal Restore” is specialize for restoring between dissimilar hardware. It is selected by default. The “Align partition to optimize SSD” is specially for SSDs that it will optimize for the SSD to get a better performance.
This method is very simple compared with other software. You can also use the PXE Boot Tool to replace the bootable ISO file. Besides migrate physical computer to Virtual Machine, AOMEI Backupper supports transfer OS from Virtual Machine to physical PC and move OS from Virtual Machine to other Virtual Machine.