About Google Drive Backup and Sync
Backup and Sync integrates Google Drive and Google Photos uploader, which can help you sync files, folders, photos, videos, and more.
Backup and Sync is divided into 2 sections, including My Computer and Google Drive. Under My Computer, you can sync any folder to Google Drive and upload photos and videos you like.
Under Google Drive, you can sync folders in My Drive to the local computer. After syncing, you can see the synced folder when offline. But Google Docs files (Sheet, Docs, and Slide) are only online, you cannot see it without internet connection unless you create a shortcut on the local computer.
Reasons to sync local folder to Google Drive?
On the market, you can find many storage device, such as, external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, NAS, cloud drive like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. Why you use Google Drive instead of other storage devices?
Compared with other storage devices, cloud drive has a clear advantage: it can be accessed as long as there is an internet connection. Besides, you do not need to worry about you will lose it by accident. Also, you are not afraid that it will be corrupted owing to system crash, virus infection, fire, etc.
How to sync local folder to Google Drive?
Sync local folder with Google Drive using Backup and Sync
Step 1. Download Google Drive Backup and Sync and sign in with your Google Drive account, and then start the first sync.
Step 2. Uncheck the default folders under My Computer and tag on CHOOSE FOLDER to mount the specified folder on the localcomputer and then click Next to continue.
If you already have Google Drive and finish the first sync, you can click Google Backup and Sync icon on the taskbar, tap on Settings and then select Preferences options.
1. The default file type is to back up all files and folders. If you do not want to sync file with the certain file extension, you can click Change at the right side, click Advanced settings, and then type the file extension you want to ignore and click Add.
2. If you want to backup photos and videos, you can click Change at the right side and tick Back up photos and videos. Also, you can specify upload size for your photo and video. High Quality will reduce the file size without changing its visual quality and it does not take up space on My Drive. Original quality will limit the size of photos and videos you can upload.
3. If you want to upload photos and videos to Google Photos, you can tick Upload photos and videos to Google Photos.
Step 3. Tick the options you like under Google Drive and click Start. Sync My Drive to this computer is selected by default. You just need to tick sync everything or only certain folders.
1. If you want to save Google Drive folder to another location, you can click Change and select a path on the local computer.
2. During the sync process, you still can pause and resume the operation. To pause the operation, you can click Backup and Sync icon on the taskbar, and then select Settings > Pause. To resume the operation, you can click Backup and Sync icon > Settings > Resume.
Step 4. After the first sync operation, by default, all the local folders will be synced to My Computer. You need to check if all the folders are synced successfully. At the same time, you will have a Google Drive folder on the local computer.
After you run the first sync, you can see extra options called Removing items and Use Devices & SD cards.The first option gives you a chance to set how to delete files, including Remove items everywhere, Don’t remove items everywhere, Ask me before removing items everywhere. The latter allows you to backup SD card to Google Drive. You can choose to backup files, folders, photos, videos and more.
Sync local folder to Google Drive via Google Drive folder
If you tick sync My Drive to this computer, you still can use Google Drive Folder to sync local folder to Google Drive. After syncing, all folders will be saved to My Drive and you can check if your folders are synced successfully.
Step 1. Douable-click Google Backup and Sync on your desktop, and then you will access Google Drive Folder.
Step 2. Right-click the folder you want to backup, and then copy and paste it to the specified Google Drive folder. After that, all folders will be synced automatically.
Step 3. Check if all the folders are synced to My Drive.
Google Drive not syncing on Windows 10/8/7 – how to Fix?
When you use Google Drive Backup and sync on Windows 10/8/7, you may receive the following error message.
An unknown error has occurred.
The file on your computer is missing.
Syncing is stuck.
Unable to complete sync.
Backup and Sync quits unexpectedly.
This file is a link to an online Google document. It cannot be changed.
Don’t worry about it. You can try the following methods and see if it works.
1. Restart Backup and Sync. You can click Backup and Sync icon at the taskbar, tag on Settings and Quit Backup and Sync, and then open Google Drive Backup and Sync again.
2. Disconnect and reconnect account.You can click Backup and Sync icon > Error – Google Drive folder is missing > Disconnect account. After that, you need to sign in again.
3. Reinstall Backup and Sync.You can download Backup and Sync from website again and click Yes when you are asked to replace the existing version during installation.
4. Restart your computer.
How to auto sync local folder to Google Drive?
Free folder sync software: AOMEI Backkupper
AOMEI Backupper is free folder sync software, which deserves to be mentioned. This software can help you sync local folder to Google Drive in simple ways. It’s very easy to use, even for a beginner.
You can email notification and get whether the operation is finished successfully or not. Also, you can sync files at daily, weekly, monthly, event-trigger. What's more, you can sync folder in real-time and do event-trigger backup with paid version. That's to say, when the folder on the original path changes, this software will immediately sync changed part to the destination path.
How to sync local folder with Google Drive in Windows 7/8/10?
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper, install and launch it.
Step 2. Click Backup and File Sync subsequently
Step 3. Click Add Folder and Browse to select folders.
Note: As you can see from above picture, there is a feature called Filter settings. This feature is very useful, especially when you want to sync files with certain file extensions. But it’s only available in the paid-version. You need to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
Step 4. Click the drop-down menu, tag on Select a cloud drive, and then choose Google Drive in the next windows and click OK to exit this window.
Step 5. Click Start Sync.
If you want to sync local folder to Google Drive sync from android, you can connect it to your computer first and then follow the steps above.
The way forward
When it comes to syncing local folder to Google Drive, you may think about the Google Drive Backup and Sync, Google Drive folder on the local computer. But you may find Google Drive not syncing in Windows 7/8/10 followed by error message. You can fix it by above ways.
In addition, you can use free folder sync software AOMEI Backupper. Like Google Drive Backup and Sync as well as Google Drive folder, it can help you sync local folder with Google Drive. And all steps are very easier.