Why need to backup hard drive?
As you may know, no matter what operating system (OS) you use, there are unexpected things that will system crash and probably data loss. Even if you have always been careful to make any changes to your computer software, there are still other potential issues might damage your system, such as failed update, water spin, and hardware failure. Speaking of hardware failure, every hard drive will fail eventually and it is just a matter of time. When it does fail, the system, installed software, games, and files are gone. If the hard drive is not totally dead, you may get most of the data out using some data recovery software. However, if it cannot even be detected, then you have to pay a high price to data recovery company if you want the data back. Those who have encountered data loss once or more in your life knows that you cannot never be more serious about backing up data. Nowadays, to create a hard drive backup is very easy. You can take a computer hard drive backup with a few click and you can restore the backup to another hard drive installed on the same computer or another computer if you find a good backup and restore software. If you frequently add or change files on your hard drive, setting up a scheduled backup job will be more secure.
Hard drive backup software
If you search on the internet, you can find many computer backup software, but some of them may fail you or you fail to understand them. Luckily AOMEI Backupper Standard, a free Windows Backup software, comes into play. It has a very intuitive interface and detailed instructions to walk you through every step of the process. It allows you to include the entire hard drive, only system, one or more partitions, files and folders in a backup and save it to any locations that File Explorer detects including Network Attached Storage (NAS) and external hard drive. Many users have been using it to backup HDD or SSD. What’s more, it provides many options and functions to meet your every need regarding backup and recovery that are listed below.
- Schedule/automatic backup, to backup specified items automatically as scheduled;
- Incremental backup and differential backup, to backup only changed files to save space and time;
- Universal/dissimilar hardware restore, to restore disk backup or system to another computer with dissimilar hardware;
- Bootable rescue media, to restore computer when it is unbootable;
- Explore image, to view or use files of a backup without restore the complete backup;
- Backup image compression, encryption and more……
Steps to backup hard disk drive
As mentioned, AOMEI Backupper allows you to backup to network drive, internal hard drive, external hard drive or other storage media. It is highly recommended to backup to a drive where no system is installed.
To create hard drive backup:
1. Download, install and run this freeware on your computer.
2. At the Home screen, click “Backup” and select “Disk Backup”.
3. Then click “Add Disk” to include the hard drive that needs backing up, and you can add more than one hard drive in a backup.
4. Within the same screen, select the destination location to save the image backup.
5. Click “Start Backup” to run the backup.
In a short while, the hard disk backup will be finished. When a backup is done, you can restore the whole backup whenever you need, and you can also selectively restore files from the backup. When you want to replace a hard drive, you can restore the backup to new hard drive so you do not have to reinstall Windows or programs. In conclusion, to backup hard drive is really important.