What Is GPT Disk
GPT is the acronym of GUID Partition Table, which is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk, using globally unique identifiers (GUID). Comparing to the Master Boot Record (MBR), which has been widely adopted in the past, GPT disk has following advantages:
- Arbitrary number of partitions - depends on space allocated for the partition table - No need for extended and logical partitions. By default the GPT table contains space for defining 128 partitions. However if the user wants to define more partitions, he/she can allocate more space to the partition table (currently only GDISK is known to support this feature).
- Uses 64-bit LBA for storing Sector numbers - maximum addressable disk size is 2 ZiB.
- Stores a backup header and partition table at the end of the disk that aids in recovery in case the primary ones are damaged.
- CRC32 checksums to detect errors and corruption of the header and partition table.
How to Backup GPT a Disk/Partition with AOMEI Backupper
1. Launch AOMEI Backupper, click the Backup icon on the left side. When the backup window appears, choose Partition Backup, System Backup or Disk Backup depends on your specific need. Here we choose Partition Backup.
2. In the pre-backup interface, we can enter a task name for the backup to distinguish a certain one from many. Then we need to choose the partitions that we want to backup. If you happen to have both MBR and GPT disks at the same time, the disk style will be displayed at the left most of each disk. Once the partitions have been chosen, they will be marked in palegreen. Next we need to choose a destination path for storing the backup image (AOMEI Backupper also supports backing up the image file into a NAS device).
3. In Backup Options, we can add a password for the backup image, enable VSS and choose the compression level. Besides these basic settings, AOMEI Backupper also enables schedule backup in daily, weekly and monthly modes.
4.As long as all the setting is done, click Start Backup.
You can download AOMEI Backupper to backup your GPT disk partition now.