Why and How to Copy One Hard Drive to Another Easily and Quickly?
I have installed Windows 7 right after it has been released. Also, I have installed all the necessary applications on my computer, too. A few days ago, I have bought a new computer. As known to many users, installing the operating system and the applications will cost a lot of time. In this case, I want to copy the system drive to another drive. But simple operations of "Copy" and "Paste" cannot complete the operations of operating system and application migration. Therefore, I wonder if there is any software that can realize this task excellently.
Yes, of course. Here, I would like to recommend you a magic free disk cloning software to help you to copy one hard drive to another easily and safely.
Why do you want to copy one hard drive to another?
From above, we know users are willing to copy one hard drive to another. But why users want to copy one hard drive to another? Below some reasons:
1. To prevent data loss. If your hard drive contains important files or folders, you may want to copy entire data from one hard drive to another. So even if you delete any of them mistakenly, you still have another one.
2. To avoid boot failure or reinstalling Windows. Sometimes, simply copying and pasting entire disk cannot copy everything and boot successfully, because there are some special partitions are protected or locked by the operating system you do not clone simultaneously, such as hidden partition, system reserved partition, recovery partition etc
3. To upgrade or replace hard disk to SSD. In order to play games more smoothly, some game enthusiasts want to own a greater performance. Thus, upgrading or replacing their old disk to a new SSD (Solid State Drive) could be a better choice.
4. To copy one hard drive to larger HDD or SSD. Every hard drive is likely to be in a low disk space with the increasing files or folders, so you may want to migrate some data to another hard drive or directly copy one hard drive to a larger HDD or SSD
Disk copying software: AOMEI Backupper
To ensure all the cloning process is running good, you need to find a useful disk cloning software. If you search “disk copying software” from webpage, you can get a dozen of tools. However, you may be puzzled at which one can help you solve your problem easily without costing you a cent.
To save your time and effort, I will recommend you a software named AOMEI Backupper. In AOMEI Backupper, you can enjoy many advanced features concerned with “Backup”, “Restore”, “Clone” and “Utilities”. From now on, you do not need to worry about data loss. And you can easily clone your hard drive to SSD or to larger hard drive. More friendly experience, you can download and try it.
How to copy everything from one hard drive to another without data loss?
Owing to above reasons, you may want to copy both data and OS from one hard drive to another.
However, sometimes, you may forget to backup their destination disk. It’s at a risk of data loss, because all your data on the destination disk will be deleted or overwritten. If you forget it, remember not to click Yes when you receive following prompt and return back to make a backup first.
Now, let’s go straight to the point, download AOMEI Backupper and see the detailed steps of how to copy both data and OS from one hard drive to another.
Step 1: Enter the main page of AOMEI Backupper and click “Clone” and “Disk Clone” subsequently
Step 2: Select “Source Disk” you want to backup
Step 3: Select “Destination Disk” you would like to save your data and operating system on the old disk, then click “Next”
Step 4: Preview the information of “Source Disk” and “Destination Disk” and click “Start Clone” to continue the pending operation.
1. Edit partition on the destination disk. When you clone a smaller disk to a larger disk, the space exceeded the smaller disk will display as unallocated space. In this case, you can choose “Edit partitions on the destination disk” to adjust it to an entire disk or whatever you like.
2. Sector by sector clone. This choice is used to clone all sectors including used and unused sector on the disk. If needed, you can choose it.
3. Align partition to optimize for SSD. This choice is used to increase the read or write speed and extend the life of your SSD hard disk. If your destination disk is SSD, you can choose it.
4. Clone GPT HDD to SSD. If you have a GPT HDD disk and want to clone GPT HDD to SSD with an MBR partition style, you need to enter BIOS and change the boot mode after you successfully clone it.
With AOMEI Backupper, you can directly copy one hard drive to another. Just a few clicks, you can finish all the process. Aside by that, if you only want to clone system, you can choose “System Clone”. If you want to clone one special partition, you can directly choose “Partition Clone”. And there are other useful functions you can use. Just download and try it.