About UEFI disk
Recent computers use built-in UEFI main board instead of BIOS. UEFI system adopts hard drives initialized with GPT partition style, which allows you to use disk space beyond 2TB. When you want to have a large disk to replace the original one, you can clone UEFI disk to the new one without the need to reinstall Windows and programs, but you may find it troublesome for some hard drive cloning software is not fully compatible with UEFI system disk. As the development of software technology, a freeware AOMEI Backupper Standard was introduced to have the ability to do UEFI clone disk clone as boot drive or data drive. Additionally, it is able to clone hard drives regardless of its partition style. In other words, you can use it to clone disk from MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR.
How to clone UEFI disk?
The interface of AOMEI Backupper is quite neat, so you can easily use it to clone hard drive to an SSD or another hard disk. It is totally free for personal and commercial use, and you can just get on withit.
1. Free download this cloning software, install and run it.
2. Click the “Clone” tab on the left, and then select “Disk Clone”. If you intend to transfer OS to another drive, you can choose “System Clone”.
3. In the next screen, tap the original UEFI/GPT disk to mark as source disk and click “Next”.
4. Select new hard drive you want to clone to as the destination disk and click “Next”.
5. If you are cloning large disk to smaller one, the program will shrink partition size on the destination disk to fit the smaller drive. If you are cloning small disk to larger one, you can click the option “Edit partitions on the destination disk” at the buttom to adjust the partition size on the destination disk. When that is done, click “Start Clone” to start the Windows UEFI disk clone.
While cloning the hard drive with AOMEI Backupper, you can still use the computer to do other things within Windows. As known, to upgrade a hard drive, you can also use backup and recovery apart from hard drive cloning. Surprisingly, AOMEI Backupper is also taken as a backup and restore software than be used to backup hard drive and backup system. In a word, no matter whether you want to clone UEFI disk or backup it, AOMEI Backupper is a great choice. In case that you prefer to work in command line, there is AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition for you.