Replace smaller SSD with a larger one
For the advantages of solid state drives (SSD) over (hard disk drives) HDD, many users have installed Windows operating system (OS) on an SSD. After running Windows on SSD for a while, you may notice that the small SSD is running out of space for many utilities and applications have permission to write files to your system drive (C: drive).
Nowadays, SSDs gain more capacity and get cheaper, so many people are planning to replace their small SSD with a larger one. The easiest way would be to clone SSD to larger SSD, so you don’t need to reinstall Windows and applications.
Disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Standard
AOMEI Backupper Professional, supporting SSD perfectly, allows you to clone a small SSD to a large one without much effort. It allows users to clone only OS or entire SSD to another SSD, and the cloned SSD will remain bootable like the original one. Cloning MBR disk to GPT disk is also supported, and vice versa.
It also provides the function to edit partition size on the destination disk, and align partition to optimize for SSD. What’s more, the cloning process will run in the background, so users won’t need to stop using the computer. There is no reason not to give it a shot.
How to clone SSD to bigger SSD
With the intuitive interface, all operations with AOMEI Backupper become quite easy. To move from a smaller SSD to a larger SSD, users can follow the steps below.
1. Install this program on your computer, and open it.
2. Select “Disk Clone” under Clone tab.
3. Click on the smaller SSD to select it as the source disk, and click on "Next". Then click on the larger SSD to set it as the destination disk, and click “Next”.
4. Click on the option “Edit partitions on the destination disk”. By default, it is set to copy without resizing partitions, which is often used for cloning to a disk with the same size as the original one. It is recommended to select the option “Fit partition to entire disk”.
5. Check the option “Align partition to optimize for SSD”, which is important for keeping the SSD at its best performance. Then click “Start Clone”.
Beside the feature to clone SSD to larger SSD, AOMEI Backupper has excellent backup and restore features, so users can use it to backup operating system, and restore to the new SSD when your computer has only one SSD slot.