What is hard drive copier?
A hard drive copier will copy all contents from one location to the other that you set before. The contents including installed programs and applications as well as stored files. Hard drive copier is also known as hard drive cloning software. The most significant difference between clone and backup is that you can use everything directly after cloning. Hard drive cloning needs the source disk to direct connect to the destination one. This does not like a backup image since you cannot just move it around. This cloner helps a lot in hard drive replacing or upgrading.
When will you need the best hard drive cloner?
As covered before, the cloner plays a vital role in disk replacing. Therefore, when replace a computer hard drive with another new hard disk you can perform hard drive to hard drive copy. To clone a laptop hard drive, an USB-to-SATA cable is necessary. Besides, hard drive clone has another effect, disaster recovery. Specifically, to clone a hard drive that contains important data to another disk. Once the source disk get lost or damaged, you can swap it with the later one and keep everything function normal. In company, this would minimize computer’s downtime and reduce lose.
Sometimes, hard drive copier is used in Windows activation information migration, i.e. copy everything except for the OEM part. Surely, hard drive copier will not clone hard drive only. You can use it to move one or two particular partitions if the need ever arises.
Best hard drive cloner for Windows – AOMEI Backupper
After having a brief impression on hard drive copier, you may wonder what kind of copier or cloner you’ll need. AOMEI Backupper Standard is recommended in this article. This free cloning software meets all basic and a few advanced requirements that the copy process needs. For example, you have options to decide whether clone the hard drive bit by bit or just the used part. The later is useful when you want to clone large hard drive to smaller one.
As a professional hard drive cloner, it offers function of clone partition as well. To transfer data that stores in one particular partition, you can use “Partition/Volume Clone” feature in AOMEI Backupper.
Don’t worry about the partition alignment if you want hard drive copy to SSD because AOMEI Backupper takes care of that. All you need to do is check the box of “Align partition to optimize for SSD”.
Steps to copy hard drive to new disk in Windows 7
1. Connect the destination disk to the computer if any. Download (Windows 10/8/8.1/7/XP/Vista supported), install and start AOMEI Backupper Standard. Go Clone > Disk Clone.
2. Select the source disk.
3. Select the destination disk.
4. Confirm the Operation Summary. You can do some changes based on your own needs. Finally, click Start Clone to execute.
- To clone system drive only on the hard drive, you’ll need to upgrade this Standard version to AOMEI Backuppper Professional, so does "Edit partitions on the destination disk". Please note that “Sector by sector clone” will make edit partitions option unusable.
- If you’re a Server user, say want to clone Windows Server 2011 to new hard drive, please turn to AOMEI Backupper Server edition.
- All data on destination disk will be overwritten, please backup those files that you care most.
Either an IT expert or computer novice you are, AOMEI Backupper Standard is the most suitable cloning software in Windows. As you can see from these screenshots, this hard drive copier is also an all-around backup solution. You can use it to backup computer and restore the image backup over network when necessary.