What is Shadow Copy Cloner for?
Shadow Copy Cloner can help you to copy all files and directories from one NTFS partition to another one. At the same time, you still can use it to create a bootable backup of your system volume for quick recovery including your programs, documents, pictures, and the Windows registry.
Shadow Copy Cloner uses Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service feature to backup your partition or system drive. This feature can generate a point-in-time ‘frozen image’ of your source drive before backing up the drive.
You can make subsequent updates later after you make an exact copy of your hard drive. And it will only update the changed files, so you do not need to spend much time on it every time.
How to backup system drive with Shadow Copy Cloner.
Step 1: Download Shadow Copy Cloner, install and launch it.
Step 2: Click Use Trial if you do not pay for it.
Step 3: Select the Source Drive from the Drop-down list first, then choose the Target Drive from the pull-down list.
Note: To successfully backup your source drive, you need to make sure your target drive with the same capacity of your source drive at least. Aside by that, there are other specified settings below, you can choose it according to your needs. And you can click Add and mount the specified files or directories you want to exclude if you do not want to back up certain files or directories.
You can use Shadow Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of hard drive, but there are limitations you need to know.
1. Backup drive with Shadow Copy Cloner for the first time is really time-consuming. As you can see from above picture, this software spend around 1 hour in copying 8.19 GB data.
2. Shadow Copy Cloner can only backup partition with NTFS file system. You are not allowed to backup drive with another file system.
3. Shadow Copy Cloner can only support some storage devices, including internal hard drive, external hard drive. And it cannot support CD, DVD, Floppy hard drive, Thumb drive, and Network drives.
4. Shadow Copy Cloner cannot backup an entire hard drive with multiple partitions. That’s to say, if your hard drive has four partitions, you can only backup one partition every time.
5. Shadow Copy Cloner is software with single function.
To overcome these limitations or get more advanced features, you can use another backup and restore software. AOMEI Backupper is a great choice for you.
Alternative software to backup system drive
As mentioned above, AOMEI Backupper is a great choice for you. It supports all versions of Windows operating system, including Windows 7/8/10. It supports more file system, including NTFS, FAT32, EXT2, etc. And it can support more storage device, including CD/DVD, thumb drive, network drive, etc. what’s more, you can backup your drive in a very short time and enjoy more advanced features, like Disk Backup, File Backup, File Sync, etc.
To see the detailed steps:
Step 1: Download backup and restore software for Windows 7/8/10, install and launch it.
Step 2: Open this software, click Backup and System Backup subsequently
Step 3: This tool will automatically choose your C drive. Here, you only need to select your Destination Partition and click Start Backup after you confirm all settings.
Step 4: You can tick Schedule and Schedule Settings if you want to backup your system on a regular basis. (optional)
Note: There are five General Schedule Settings and three Advanced Schedule Settings.
1. For General Schedule Settings, you can choose Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, Real-time Sync. All these settings can help you backup your system drive on a regular basis. However, they have different interval.
2. For Advanced Schedule Settings, you can choose Full Backup, Incremental Backup, Differential Backup. If you want to make an entire backup of your system drive, you can choose Full Backup. If you have a full backup, you are supposed to choose Incremental Backup or Differential Backup.
And it's not only a backup and restore software but also a disk cloning software. You can enjoy various clone features including System Clone, Disk Clone, Partition Clone, etc.
Shadow Copy Cloner can help you create a bootable backup for System, but there are some limitations. However, it doesn’t matter. You can use AOMEI Backupper to backup your system drive effortlessly. And this software can overcome the limitations of Shadow Copy Cloner and offer you more advanced features.