“ I have a laptop with about 400GB of files including pictures, docs, project files, etc. I wish to copy these files to an external hard drive which is 1TB in size. However, I want the copy to be such that if I make any changes to my files on the laptop, these changes are synced to the external hard drive. If I add or remove or move files, the same needs to be reflected on the external hard drive.” Do you have any idea about this? Though, this might sound extremely difficult, you can use the File Syncfeature of free AOMEI Backupper to easily achieve.
What’s file sync?
File sync is a kind of backup in a certain way, but different in being able to use copied files directly. Sync is short for synchronization, which can keep files in multiple locations up-to-date. That is to say, when you sync files to external hard drive in Windows 10/8/7, you can keep files on the external hard drive the same as files in your laptop no matter they are newly-created or else. In this way, you don’t need to update on both sides every time while keeping an up-to-date copy on external hard drive. To do so, AOMEI File Sync is recommended.
What'rethe advantages of AOMEI File Sync?
Comparing with other sync software, AOMEI File Sync is the best choice:
- Powerful one-way sync function: it supports to synchronize all files from one folder to the other folder. It can be used combing with other functions, such as schedule, and file sync service will monitor relevant folders.
- It supports scheduled sync: scheduled sync can help you automatically synchronize folders at a fixed time in a day/week/month or real-time file sync to synchronize files when it detects all kind of changes made on that folder which you need to sync. Even you can do event-trigger sync while upgrading to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
In addition, except to sync files to external hard drive, you can sync files to local disk, other computers within LAN, NAS, and cloud storage drives including Sugar, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, CloudMe and hubiC. Next, we’ll show you how to sync files to external hard drive in Windows 10/8/7 via free AOMEI Backupper.
How to sync files to external hard drive in Windows 10/8/7?
AOMEI Backupper Standard is the free edition but powerful enough to help you sync files from computer to external hard drive, and it supports all Windows editions including Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 of both 32bit and 64bit.
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper Standard. Select “File Sync” under “Backup” tab.
2. In the next window, click “Add Folder” to select the folder on your computer that needs sync. Then select a folder on your external hard drive as target location.
Tips: there are two options at the lower left, which will reach your other requirement on file sync.
- Options: it contains comments and notification. You can comment on file to distinguish from others, and set up email configuration information to remind you regularly to synchronize relevant folders.
- Schedule:as we mentioned before, it can be set to run the sync task automatically as you wish. If you set to run the task at a specified time in a day/week/month or choose to do event-trigger sync, you should plug in your external hard drive before the job starts. If you wish to do real-time sync, you should always connect your external hard drive with computer. Or you can upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional to run missed sync in case that your external hard drive misses the sync schedule to be connecting.
AOMEI Backupper is a great option to sync files to external hard drive in Windows10/8/7. It so convenient for you with easy-to-use interface, in addition, you can use it to do clone job as clone a hard drive with multiple partitions, or backup job, or restore job and so on.