Why Upgrade MSI Hard Drive?
MSI is short for Micro-Star International Co., Ltd in Taiwan, China, which produces gaming laptops, computers, computer hardware, all-in-one PCs and other related products. MSI gaming laptops could be its outstanding representatives such as MSI GT72 Dominator, MSI GT70, MSI GT80, etc. It delivers some of the best displays, keyboards, and audio for game players.
Generally speaking, MSI gaming laptops comes with a 1T HDD drive usually, and some of them pre-installed a small SSD. With daily use, the HDD or SSD drive contains a pile of data, which could be Windows OS or your crucial personal documents that you don’t want to throw away.
For game users, you can’t get the best performance of MSI laptops due to the large number of data on your system hard drive. Although you can delete some unnecessary files and applications to free up some space, this is not a permanent solution.
Replacing hard drive for MSI laptop or doing MSI SSD upgrade may be the ideal solution at this moment. To improve the performance of the computer, most of game players choose the SSD drive to realize MSI hard drive upgrade.
What Do You Need?
Before you do, you have to prepare these things.
- Your MSI laptop with Windows installed.
- A brand new SSD. To make sure what kind of SSD suitable for your MSI computer, consult the manufacturer of the computer.
- A USB flash drive or external hard drive.
A data migration tool - AOMEI Backupper Professional. As the best data migration software, it makes you backup or clone data easily in Windows personal computer like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. Now, you could create WinPE bootable media.
Replace Hard Drive with SSD for MSI Laptops
AOMEI Backupper offers two solutions for your MSI hard drive replacement: clone HDD to SSD, or backup hard drive to USB/external drive then restore to SSD drive. If your MSI computer is a desktop, you could try the cloning operation; if a MSI laptop, just try the later one since some of laptops have only one hard drive bay. All detailed steps listed below.
Backup MSI Original Hard Drive
1. Connect the USB drive or external hard drive with your MSI laptop, install and run this installer - AOMEI Backupper. On the main console, select Backup > Disk Backup in turn.
2. Enter a proper Task Name if you wish.
3. In the Step1, select the MSI hard drive as source disk.
4. In the Step2, choose the USB drive or external hard drive as target disk.
5. Click Start Backup to backup MSI laptop in Windows 7/8/10.
After the backup finished, the image file of MSI hard drive has been stored to the USB drive or external hard drive.
Remove MSI original hard drive and connect SSD
On this condition, shut down your laptop, and upside down.
Unscrew the screws that keep the back cover in place. Gentally pull off the back cover.
Unscrew the screw for fixing the battery, and take it out carefully from the MSI laptop.
Gentally pull the MSI hard drive out after unscrewing the screws on the hard drive.
Put the new SSD drive into the slot.
Restore MSI Disk Image to SSD drive
1. Plug the USB flash drive or external hard drive into the MSI laptop, boot your computer from the WinPE bootable media, and AOMEI Backupper will automatically run on your computer. On the main window, find the Disk Backup at the Home tab and select Restore.
2. Select a backup time point to restore MSI laptop. Then hit Next.
3. Choose an individual partition or entire hard drive to restore, and then press Next.
4. Select the SSD drive as destination for the disk image that you would like to restore. Click Next to continue.
Tips: If your destination disk is different from your backup source disk, you will be prompted by this message "Because your current selected destination hard disk is different from the backup source hard disk, please make sure that your system is Windows Vista or latter Windows 64-bit OS. Otherwise, it may cause destination system boot failure after restoring."
5. Preview the result of restoring, and check the Align partition to optimize for SSD option, press Start Restore.
With this powerful backup software - AOMEI Backupper, MSI hard drive upgrade has been finished with a success. AOMEI Backupper also provides system clone for cloning Windows operating system only, and allows you to create bootable media to restore windows when your MSI laptop refuse to boot.