Why Upgrade MSI Hard Drive?
MSI is short for Micro-Star International Co., Ltd in Taiwan, China, which produces gaming laptops, computers, computer hardware, all-in-one PCs and other related products. MSI gaming laptops could be its outstanding representatives such as MSI GT72 Dominator, MSI GT70, MSI GT80, etc. It delivers some of the best displays, keyboards, and audio for game players.
Generally speaking, MSI gaming laptops comes with a 1T HDD drive usually, and some of them pre-installed a small SSD. With daily use, the HDD or SSD drive contains a pile of data, which could be Windows OS or your crucial personal documents that you don’t want to throw away.
For game users, you can’t get the best performance of MSI laptops due to the large number of data on your system hard drive. Although you can delete some unnecessary files and applications to free up some space, this is not a permanent solution.
Replacing hard drive for MSI laptop or doing MSI SSD upgrade may be the ideal solution at this moment. To improve the performance of the computer, most of game players choose the SSD drive to realize MSI hard drive upgrade.
What Do You Need?
Before you do, you should be aware of the importance of the preparations.
- Your MSI laptop with Windows installed.
- A brand new SSD. To make sure what kind of SSD suitable for your MSI computer, consult the manufacturer of the computer.
- A USB flash drive or external hard drive.
- A data migration tool - AOMEI Backupper Professional. As the best data migration software, it makes you backup or migrate data easily in Windows personal computer like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. You can download it to have a try.
Replace Hard Drive with SSD for MSI Laptops
AOMEI Backupper offers two solutions for your MSI hard drive replacement: clone HDD to SSD, or backup hard drive to USB/external drive then restore to SSD drive. If your MSI computer is a desktop, you could try the cloning operation; if a MSI laptop, just try the later one. Since some of laptops have only one hard drive bay so that clone HDD to SSD could be failed via the USB to SATA cable. All detailed steps listed below.
Backup MSI Original Hard Drive
1. Connect the USB drive or external hard drive with your MSI laptop, install and run this installer - AOMEI Backupper. On the main console, select “Backup”>”Disk Backup” in turn.
2. Enter a proper “Task Name” if you wish.
3. In the “Step1”, select the MSI hard drive as source disk.
4. In the “Step2”, choose the USB drive or external hard drive as target disk.
5. Click “Start Backup” to backup MSI laptop.
After the backup finished, the image file of MSI hard drive has been stored to the USB drive or external hard drive. On this condition, shut down your laptop and take out the MSI original hard drive, then put the new SSD drive into the slot.
Restore MSI Disk Image to SSD drive
1. Plug the USB flash drive or external hard drive into the MSI laptop, and run AOMEI Backupper. On the main window, find the “Disk Backup” at the “Home” tab and select “Restore”.
2. Select a backup time point to restore MSI laptop. Then hit “Next”.
3. Choose an individual partition or entire hard drive to restore, and then press “Next”.
4. Select the SSD drive as destination for the disk image that you would like to restore. Click “Next” to continue.
Tips: If your destination disk is different from your backup source disk, you will be prompted by this message “Because your current selected destination hard disk is different from the backup source hard disk, please make sure that your system is Windows Vista or latter Windows 64-bit OS. Otherwise, it may cause destination system boot failure after restoring.”
5. Preview the result of restoring, and check the “Align partition to optimize for SSD” option, press “Start Restore”.
With this powerful backup software - AOMEI Backupper, MSI hard drive upgrade has been finished with a success. AOMEI Backupper also provides system clone for cloning Windows operating system only, and allows you to create bootable media to restore windows when your MSI laptop refuse to boot.