Why need to migrate partition to SSD?
SSDs are the next evolution of PC storage which run faster, quieter and cooler than the aging technology inside hard drives, and they are more durable and more reliable due to no moving parts. When you want to replace hard drive with an SSD, important data on old drive should be transferred to SSD and there are ways to do so.
1. You can create an HDD image, and then restore to SSD. But instead hard drive image, you’d better clone hard drive to SSD directly when your SSD is big enough to hold all data on HDD.
2. If your SSD is not bigger than HDD, of the same size at least, except to use a powerful software to clone bigger HDD to smaller SSD, migrate only system partition to SSD will also avoid re-installing operating system. Or if you used to have an SSD, and just want to share the storage of data on another one, you can migrate only data partition to solve this problem.
Anyway, there is a powerful software can help to do whatever mentioned above, that is, AOMEI Backupper.
What’s the best software?
AOMEI Backupper is a free and professional software with an intuitive interface, supporting to clone in three different levels including disk clone, system clone and partition clone. In addition, it’s convenient when to backup system, partition, disk and files. If you have any special requirements as create bootable media and merge images etc., AOMEI Backupper is also helpful. With it, tasks can be well done within all Windows editions including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows8/8.1, Windows 10, both 32bit and 64bit.
In a word, AOMEI Backupper is the best software. Next, we will give you an example of how to migrate partition to SSD via AOMEI Backupper.
How to migrate partition to SSD via the software?
Before you migrate Window partition to SSD, you should connect SSD to your PC either with SATA to USB cable or not. Then, you can follow us to clone partition to SSD step by step.
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2. Select “Partition Clone” under “Clone” tab.
3. Choose partition you want to clone to SSD.
4. Choose SSD as destination location.
5. You can preview the result, and then click “Edit the size of partition”.
- “Sector by Sector clone” will clone every sector of partition, no matter it is used or unused, even it’s a blank sector or a bad sector.
- “Align partition to optimize for SSD” is recommended here to get the best SSD performance since this guarantee the correction of 4k alignment of SSD.
6. Drag the slider at either end of the partition leftwards or rightwards to edit partition size and location. Or you can type the exact number. Then click “Start Clone”.
As you can see, it’s so easy to migrate partition to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, which not only guarantees the best performance of SSD, but allows to edit partition size and location on destination SSD as you wish. Now, it’s time for you do start work.