Why a need disk image?
A disk image is a compressed file containing the contents and structure of an entire disk which includes but not limited to operating system, boot files and applications installed. And a disk image can be used in several major areas, for example,
- Data Protection: It doesn’t matter that if your computer is attacked by virus or won’t work due to system crash or disk failure, because it can bring data back to the right state.
- Disk upgrade: Backup disk image is an alternative to clone disk. And the disk image can be restored to a new disk so as to upgrade disk with the exactly same information as the old one.
- System Migration: You can choose only system file to restore, which is with same results as to create a system image.
Usually, a disk image is made by creating a sector-by-sector copy of the source disk, thereby it can be huge. Here, in order to backup disk image to USB drive successfully, we recommend you AOMEI Backupper which can omit copying unused space from the source disk and allow to compress the disk it presents to reduce storage requirement.
How to create disk image to USB drive?
AOMEI Backupper offers three compression levels. The higher level will make a smaller image file, but cost longer time:
- None: data will not be compressed, so this may significantly increase the size of image file.
- Normal: data will be moderately compressed. (This is a recommend compression level.)
- High: maximum data compression will take a long time to create a backup.
It also offers two intelligent sector backup options:
- Intelligent Sector Backup (recommend): only backup the used sectors of file systems, and this will reduce the size of image file and backup time.
- Make an Exact Backup: sector by sector backup, and this will backup all sectors of disks or partitions whether used or not.
Now, make your own choice and we’ll show you how to do with AOMEI Backupper step by step.
Step1: Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper. Choose “Disk Backup” under “Backup” tab.
Step 2: Here, you are able to edit the default “Task Name”. At “Step1”, you need to choose the disk which you want to create an image. At “Step2”, you need to choose the USB drive as the destination path.
Tip: “Compression” and “Intelligent Sector” can be set by clicking “Backup Option” , and “Schedule” is optional to automatic backup PC.
Step3: When the process is accomplished, click “Finish”. Then work is done.
How to restore disk image?
AOMEI Backupper provides fast and flexible disk image recovery solutions:
- If you want to restore whole disk image to solve problem as system crash or disk failure, you can make it by clicking “Restore” tab directly.
- If you only want to choose individual files but not entire disk image to restore, you can use Explore Image to mount disk image as virtual partitions and copy data.
- If you want to replace your old computer with a new computer with different hardware, you can use Universal Restore to perform hard drive image recovery.