Benefits of making backup copies before computer shutdown
When you press the Shut-Down button of your computer, clearly you have done saving or changing files in it, so it is a good choice to perform computer backup on system shutdown. In Windows 10/8/7, some critical updates can only be installed after a restart.
However, if the new update fails, it may lead to system unbootable or even data loss. If you have set up a backup before shutting down your computer, you would not have the trouble. Moreover, hardware failure when the computer is off may also result in serious data loss. Therefore, it is recommended to make a backup of your computer before computer shutdown.
Freeware for automatic backup at computer shutdown
Is it possible to set up an automatic Windows backup on system shutdown? AOMEI Backupper, Windows backup and restore software, can do exactly that. It can make sure your computer will only shutdown after backup finishes. It allows you to set up multiples scheduled/automatic backup on different events.
Besides run backup at shutdown, the program is also capable of running a backup when you starts the computer, users log in or log off. In addition, you can also create regular daily, weekly or monthly scheduled backup jobs. It provides 4 different types of backup based on what is included in the backup, which are system backup, disk backup, partition backup, and file backup.
Furthermore, it supports incremental backup and differential backup that only includes the new added or changed in the new backup version since the previous backup, which reduces the time and disk space used for backups.
Configure automatic computer backup during system shutdown
AOMEI Backupper supports many storage devices including hard disk drives (HDDs), solid disk drives (SSDs), USB external drive, writable DVDs, network shared locations, etc. in a word, any locations can be detected in File Explorer can be set as the backup destination location to receive the backup image.
To set up automatic backup before shutdown:
1. Download this backup software and run it on your computer.
2. At the Home screen, click the “Backup” button, and then it will bring you the screen to select backup type. Here the system backup will be taken as an example.
3. The program will automatically include the necessary partitions for a full system recovery as the backup source. Click “Step 2” to select the destination location.
4. Click the “Schedule” button at the bottom, and in the pop out window, select "Event Triggers" from the dropdown menu under “General”.
5. Check the option “System Shutdown”.
6. Click “Start Backup” to add this backup job or run it immediately.
Then computer backup on system shutdown is now in effect. When the next time you start your computer, you can see a backup has been created and listed on the Home screen of AOMEI Backupper. You can also create a bootable media with USB flash drive or Writable DVD in order to restore system when it is unbootable.