Why need to clone hard drive to SSD?
SSDs (solid-state-drives) are better than HDDs (hard disk drives) in many aspects -- first, an SSD is more durable and more reliable than an HDD. Instead of being like an HDD which has a rotating platter with R/W head on mechanical arm moving around for reading data, an SSD uses a non-mechanical design of NAND flash mounted on a circuit board. This structure difference makes HDD susceptible to shock and damage, while SSD shock resistant up to 1550g/0.5ms. Second, an SSD is faster than an HDD due to no spinning. In addition, SSD is quieter, cooler and power-saving.
It is a wise choice to upgrade HDD to SSD, but when you do so there may be a problem -- what if there are multiple partitions on HDD? Actually, this problem will be easily solved with a right software.
What’s the best tool to clone multi-partition HDD to SSD?
To clone multiple partition hard drive to SSD, we recommend you free AOMEI Backupper. It can help you to deal with the situation in different ways, for example,
- If your SSD is the same size as HDD, you can make each partition on the SSD the exactly same (including same capacity, used space and free space) as the source.
- If your SSD is larger than the HDD, there is an option to proportionally expand each partition by utilizing more or all of the SSD’s larger capacity. In this way, partitions on the SSD are with different capacity and free space, but the used space with data won’t change.
- If your SSD is smaller than the HDD, it supports to shrink partition capacity and free space, as long as the used space (data space) can be held by SSD, you can achieve to clone multiple partitions to SSD without losing data.
Now, make your choice and follow us to clone multi-partition hard drive to SSD with AOMEI Backupper step by step.
How to clone multi-partition HDD to SSD?
Except to clone multiple partition hard drive to SSD, you are allowed to clone single partition to SSD or migrate only OS to SSD. Even if your multi-partition hard drive is GPT while SSD is MBR, and all works can be well achieved within all Windows editions including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, both 32bit and 64bit. Now, let’s clone multi- partition hard drive to SSD.
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2. Select “Disk Clone” under “Clone” tab.
3. Select HDD as source disk.
4. Select SSD as destination disk.
5. Click “Edit partitions on the destination disk”.
- “Sector by sector clone” will clone every sector on disk partitions including used, unused, bad, blank. Then you can’t choose to edit partition.
- “Align partition to optimize for SSD” will guarantee the correction of 4k alignment, so this is recommended to get the best performance of SSD.
6. Choose the way to arrange multiple partitions on SSD.
7. Click “Start Clone”. This progress should take a while according to the data size on HDD.
AOMEI Backupper is a professional clone software with intuitive interface, which allows cloning multiple partition hard drive to SSD easily. Now, it’s your turn to do so.