Clone Hard Drive to SSD via Clonezilla/Alternative
If you want to upgrade your HDD (hard disk drive), an SSD should be the best choice. SSD is short for solid state drive, which provides a faster speed for Windows, application and games, etc. In addition, SSD is better considering its high quivery resistance capability, low power consumption standby, running noiseless, and low operating temperature. When you decide to change with an SSD, you may want to keep all data of HDD as well. And clone HDD to SSD with a third party software is the simplest way to succeed. Here, we introduce two free tools for you to do so - Clonezilla and an alternative AOMEI Backupper.
Clone hard drive to SSD via Clonezilla
Clonezilla, a free and open source software for disk imaging and cloning, can be used in both Windows and GUN/Linux. When you use Clonezilla to clone HDD to SSD, you are asked to have a SSD at least with equal size of your hard drive, or AOMEI Backupper can be helpful to clone to smaller SSD, such as clone 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD. Using Clonezilla to clone HDD to SSD is a little time-consuming and cumbersome, please be patient and we give you detailed operation as simple as possible.
1. Prepare Clonezilla live
Here, we put Clonezilla live on the new SSD and use it to boot Clonezilla, to do so, make sure the SSD bootable by creating a boot partition on it. (Or you can put Clonezilla live in bootable CD or USB flash drive so that you can boot it to clone hard drive to SSD.)
2. Boot your Clonezilla live
- Insert the new SSD which is bootable with Clonezilla live built in to your machine and boot Clonezilla live.
3. Choose “ToRAM” option in the boot menu
- In boot menu, choose “Other modes of Clonezilla live”.
- Then choose “Clonezilla live (TO RAM, Boot media can be removed later)”. By doing so, all the Clonezilla live file on SSD will be copied to RAM, so the partition of SSD can be released.
4. Choose language
5. Choose keyboard layout
6. Choose “Start Clonezilla”
- Choose “Start Clonezilla”.
- Choose “device-device work directly from a disk or partition to a disk or partition”.
- Choose “Beginner Beginner mode: Accept the default options”.
7. Choose “Disk_to_local_disk”
8. Choose source disk
9. Choose target disk
- Here you need to select if the source file system needs to be checked or not, just choose to “Skip checking/repairing source file system”.
10. Start cloning
- Before doing real cloning, Clonezilla will ask confirmation twice.
- Then it creates partition table on the destination disk, and asks confirmation about cloning boot loader to target disk, and asks confirmation about cloning data from source disk.
11. Disk is cloned
- Choose “Poweroff”, and your machine will be halted. Now your SSD is ready to be used.
In fact, it is much difficult for newbie to clone hard drive to SSD Clonezilla, and there may be a worse situation that Clonezilla failed to clone. So why not choosing another convenient and powerful freeware? Next, we’ll show you how to easily and successfully clone HDD to SSD with the AOMEI Backupper.
Clone with Clonezilla alternative - AOMEI Backupper
Instead clone HDD to SSD via Clonezilla, we prefer to recommend you AOMEI Backupper. AOMEI Backupper is a free and powerful software, which can be used within all Windows editions. Most importantly, it has an easy-to-use interface allowing you to finish task with few simple steps.
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2. Select “Disk Clone”under “Clone” tab.
3. Click your hard drive as source disk.
4. Select your SSD as destination disk.
5. You can preview the operation here. Then click “Start Clone”.
- “Edit partition on the destination disk” also has three choices: Copy without resizing partitions, Fit all partition to entire disk, after upgrading to AOMEI Backupper Professional you can choose to Edit the partitions on this disk.
- “Sector by sector clone” will clone every sector no matter it is used or not, even it’s a blank sector or a logical bad sector.
- "Align partition to optimize for SSD” is recommended here to guarantee your SSD is of best performance.
6. After the clone progress is 100%, click “Finish”.
As you see, the job to clone hard drive to SSD can be finished within few simple steps via AOMEI Backupper not Clonezilla. Apart from disk clone, you can use AOMEI Backupper to migrate OS to Crucial SSD, SanDisk SSD and other brand SSDs as you wish.