Why need the best way to backup laptop?
Regular backups are of great importance when you mistakenly delete important files or format data partition or when your files get corrupted by virus or system crash down by hacker attack. No matter you use the laptop at home or in the office, there are many valuable data that you cannot afford losing them. All in all, there are several reasons that account for this action.
- Regularly backup files and photos on laptop to protect them. Once bad luck happens, these files can escape from the disaster.
- Backup new laptop to another device like Seagate external HDD and used as factory recovery image later. Place the backup image with a bootable device and one can do a system restore if the need ever arises.
- Create backup images of important files and programs, and transfer them to another place. Backup image takes less disk space than the original size. Some backup software supports compress the backup image to the highest level. Normally, we backup laptop to thumb drive or portable external hard drive like WD My Passport to complete the task.
- Backup laptop hard drive for disk upgrading. Laptop manufacturers like Dell, Lenovo, HP, Sony, Acer, ASUS, Samsung or Toshiba, are come with traditional hard drives, HDD, when shipped to resellers or users. So after backing up a Dell laptop, you can swap the old hard drive with a new disk like SSD or SSHD and restore the image. Absolutely, you can clone dell hard drive to SSD directly. But this solution is suitable for desktop upgrading.
No matter what factor leads to laptop backup, finding a professional and easy way to do this is the key point.
Best way to backup laptop hard drive
To backup a laptop running Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP or Vista, you have several options. For example, in Windows 7 and later, you can use Windows 7 Backup and Restore or File History to create backup image. In Windows XP, use Backup utility in System Tools. Nevertheless, to backup entire laptop, you need to ask help for third-party backup solutions. Windows built-in GUI backup tools work great in creating system image or backup files, but you cannot use it to perform a disk backup containing system reserved partition, hidden partition and recovery partition in Lenovo G50 laptop, for instance.
AOMEI Backupper Professional is the best solution to backup laptop to external hard drive, portable HDD, USB flash drive, NAS or network share. It supports many external devices as long as they can be detected by Windows. In terms of security, this software allows you to password encrypt backup images and protect them from unauthorized access. Besides, you can compress backup image to the highest level and place it to smaller capacity device. Also, copy operating system to USB drive is available and the “The drive is not a valid backup location” warning won’t appear. For advanced users, AOMEI Backupper offers command line backup and restore. Download the free trial and have a try.
How to backup my laptop to My Passport with AOMEI Backupper?
1. Connect the My Passport to your laptop via USB cable or enclosure, and make sure it is detected. Install AOMEI Backupper and start it.
2. At the main console, click Backup > Disk Backup.
3. At this window, click the first laptop hard drive as the source disk.
4. Then click the external drive as the target disk.
5. You can do some personal changes here. For example, click Backup Options to encrypt and compress backup image; click Scheme to manage backup storage; click Schedule to configure regular or event-trigger backup.
6. Click Start Backup to backup laptop for the first time.
*Target disk needs to be formatted before you can use it.
*AOMEI Backupper Professional is Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP and Vista supported.
How to backup laptop from Command Prompt?
*Backup laptop disk with Webadmin
As covered before, Windows built-in GUI backup utilities cannot backup entire laptop disk. But its Webadmin Command can do you a favor. Steps to backup a laptop hard drive from command line are:
1. Press Windows + R key, type “CMD” and hit Enter to start Command Prompt.
2. Run following command: wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:F: -include:C:, D: -allCritical –quiet
This will backup all contents on C and D drives to F drive. “-quiet” means it will back up the hard drive without prompting for extra input, so it will start to backup right after you input the order.
*Command line backup laptop with AMBackup.exe
Aforementioned software AOMEI Backupper provides easier command line backup. You just need to start it in Command Prompt and type a piece of command:
1. Input “cd” plus the installation path of AOMEI Backupper in Command Prompt. For example, type: cd C:\Program Files (x86) \AOMEI Backupper
2. Input command with following format: AMBackup.exe /b new /t disk /s [source disk number] /d “[target location path]” /n “[task name]”. For example: AMBackup.exe /b new /t disk /s 0 /d “E:\disk backup” /n “Disk Backup”
There are a thousand Hamlets in a thousand people's eyes. Which one is the best way to backup laptop hard drive to external HDD or NAS is up to your preference. If encounter your Gateway laptop hard drive failure, you can create bootable media on a functional PC with this software and do the backup in WinPE mode. Except for being a reliable backup solution, AOMEI Backupper is also a professional disk clone software. You can clone laptop hard drive to SSD in disk replacing when you don’t want to fresh install OS.