Backup external hard drive is necessary
External hard drives as the newly storage devices, are widely used nowadays. It is portable and removable, so users always use it to store data and bring it to anywhere, which is very convenient for users. Plus, external hard drive is separated from your machine, so that it avoids the problems that computer may have, such as virus attack, system crash, and so on. Thus, storing data on external hard drive is safer than storing on computer hard drive.
However, backup data on external hard drive can not ensure its safe absolutely. First, just because of its portable and removable, it may be lost easier; second, it may be used on many different computers with a high frequency, it may be broken in a short time; third, if you want to format the external hard drive to another file system, the format operating will erase the data on it. Thus, back external hard drive is necessary. Fortunately, this article will show you the best way to backup external hard drive.
How to backup portable external hard drive?
You can not prevent the accidents happen to your portable external hard drive, but you can take a proactive stance by backing up the external hard drive to limit the damage. You can store the backup image to many places such as a local hard drive, or backup external hard drive to another external hard drive, or other flash drives. Once your external hard drive crashes, you can retrieve data immediately. To backup your external hard drive, here we highly recommend you a free backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard, which can help you backup the entire external hard drive in a few minutes under Windows Operating system including Windows 7/8/10. Take example for backing up external hard drive to local other hard drive. Before you do, you need prepare for it:
1. Connect your external hard drive to your personal computer, make sure it can be detected. If the external hard drive cannot connect to your computer and did not show in My Computer, you need format it to the file system your operating system supports.
2. Make sure your hard drive has enough space to store the data on your external hard drive. Download this freeware, install and launch it.
After those preparing, you nee do as following steps.
Step1. Click Backup-> Disk Backup.
Step2. Select the external hard drive (disk 1) as an source disk in “Step1”, and select where you would like to store the backups on at “Step2”, here is the local partition F:\ as the destination place. After all settings, Click Start Backup to launch the progress. When it is done click Finish to exit.
● AOMEI Backupper provides you schedule backup hard drives. Click Schedule to set up.
● AOMEI Backupper can make a high compression for large data setting at Backup Options, so that you can backup the external hard drive to a smaller hard drive.
● AOMEI Backupper provides you more powerful functions to secure your data free, if you need more features, you can upgrade standard to professional edition.