About Microsoft Office activation
Since Windows XP, Microsoft has required users to enter product keys to activate Office. If you want to format your hard disk drive (HDD) and reinstall Windows again, you have to reinstall Office and activate it again before you can use it normally. Microsoft only allows you to activate Office online within a limited period time.
Beyond that period, you have to make phone calls to get your activation numbers and type them back to your computer. Apparently, this method is inconvenient and time-consuming. Is there a way to backup Microsoft Office before reformatting the hard drive so you won’t lose it?
Backup and restore Microsoft Office activation status
Don't you hate to reactivate Microsoft Office after a clean reinstall? We all know that to backup files before reformatting is important. Here you’ll be shown how to backup your Office activation, so you won’t have to reactivate after reinstalling.
1. Make sure you have activated your Microsoft Office successfully. Then type “services.msc” in the Run box and press Enter to open Services.
2. Locate Office Software Protection Platform Properties, and stop this service.
3. Copy the folder named OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatformProperties, which should be in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft.
Restore the Office activation status
1. Install the same edition of Microsoft Office.
2. Make sure that the Office Software Protection Platform Properties service is stopped.
3. Paste the copied folder to the location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft and replace the original folder if there is one.
4. Enjoy using Microsoft Office.
In this way, you still have to reinstall Microsoft Office. Then how to keep Microsoft Office when reformatting without reinstalling or reactivating it?
Backup Microsoft Office without reinstalling or reactivating
AOMEI Backupper Standard is a freeware that allows you to backup Microsoft Office so you don’t have to reinstall or reactivate it after a restore. It provides 4 backup solutions including System backup, which is to backup operating system and all the programs, Disk Backup, to back up the entire hard drive, Partition Backup, to backup one or more specific partitions, File Backup, to backup files or folders.
How to backup Microsoft Office with AOMEI Backupper:
1. Free download this software. Install and open it.
2. Select “File Backup” under “Backup” tab.
3. Click “Add Folder” to add the folder “Microsoft Office” in C:\Program Files (x86)\ in the backup. Edit the task name if needed.
4. Click “the seond box” to select a location as the destination path.
5. Click “Start Backup” to run the backup.
That is how it goes to backup Microsoft Office before reformatting. Then you can easily restore the file backup of Microsoft Office with activation. The only problem is that you need to manually set the default app to open Office file after restoring this backup.
If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.