What should you do when laptop failed to boot?
If your laptop can get started, but it will not boot into Windows 10/8/7, you can first use Windows system repair disc or installation disk to fix most of startup problems. If you cannot fix the error using all the recovery options in recovery environment. If you cannot tell whether the hard drive is failing or only system crashes. In that case, you may want to backup your personal files before it is too late. Instead of backing up files one by one, you can also backup hard drive from broken laptop to an external hard drive with easy steps.
What do you need?
In order to backup data from broken laptop, you will need to prepare another PC running Windows, a writable USB drive or a CD/DVD, and a piece of backup software. AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free backup and restore software that allows you to create a bootable media with CD or USB drive in order to boot any Windows PCs, so you can backup or restore hard drive when windows won't boot. You can follow the steps below to proceed:
1. Download and run AOMEI Backupper on another computer that can load Windows successfully. Connect a CD or USB drive that has at least 512MB capacity to that computer.
2. Click “Utilities” and select “Create Bootable Media”.
3. Select Linux based disc or Windows PE. Windows PE is recommended for it has no function limits.
4. Specify the storage media, and click “Next” to start the operation.
Be aware that all the data on the removable disk will be deleted. If your computer enabled UEFI boot mode, it will ask you to select UEFI mode or Legacy mode. For better compatibility, you can just select Legacy mode.
Backup broken laptop’s hard drive
This bootable media does not mind whether your laptop is 32 bit or 64 bit. As long as it is running Windows, you can follow the steps below to backup broken laptop:
1. Connect the bootable media you created to the broken laptop and start your laptop.
2. Press a specified key or key-combination (usually F2, F1, Esc) to boot into BIOS and then change the bootable media as the first boot device.
3. Connect an external hard drive to store the backup image while your laptop reboots into AOMEI Backupper’s screen.
4. Click “Disk Backup” under Backup tab.
5. Click “Step 1” to choose the laptop hard drive as backup source and click “Step 2” to select the external hard drive as the backup destination disk.
6. Click “Start Backup” to start the backup.
Then you can see the program start to backup hard drive from broken laptop, and it will be finished in a short while. If it is your laptop hardware that is having problem with, you can remove the laptop hard drive and connect to another computer in order to get data out of broken laptop. If you do not want to lose the operating system, you can use AOMEI Backupper to backup system and restore to another computer with dissimilar hardware.