What is Ransomware Virus?
Ransomware is a type of malicious software that stops you from accessing your PC, tablet or smartphones until you pay money (named ransom) to get encryption key to access your device or files. Ransomware will prevent you from accessing Windows or encrypt files so you can’t use them, even stop certain apps from running like your web browser. A new type of Ransomware called WannaCry Ransomware virus (also named WannaCry, Wanna DeCryptor or WanaCrypt0r 2.0) attack is aimed at the Microsoft Windows operating system that have not been properly maintained with up-to-date security software, it started on Friday, 12 May 2017, spreading all over the world. And the WannaCry Ransomware virus has infected a large scale of computers in 150 countries. If your computer has been infected, the WannaCry Ransomeware virus will encrypt your files and change the file extensions to .wnry, .wcry, .wncry and .wncrypt. You can’t decrypt these files unless you have the encryption key. How to prevent Ransomware or get a Ransomware virus solution? First of all, you have to know how the Ransomware works.
How does the Ransomeware virus work?
As a matter of fact, the WannaCry Ransomeware virus will scan your computer for the TCP port 445 (Server Message Block/SMB), similar to the spread of worm virus, attack the host and encrypt files (including pictures, documents, compressed files, videos, audios, .exe files, etc.) stored on the host, and then asked to bitcoin payment in the form of ransom. The virus can spread from machine to machine on the same Intranet. In most cases, the WannaCry Ransomware virus occurs on your computer, the cause should be:
You visited a malicious website or a website that’s been hacked.
Open a malicious email attachment from spam emails.
Connect your infected removable drives with your PC.
Installed a software that is not downloaded from the official vendor’s website.
After knowing how it spreads and how you get Ransomware on your PC, you should pay attention to how to get rid of the WannaCry Ransomware or other Ransomware?
Prevent Ransomware solutions
Here, we will give you six WannaCry Ransomeware solutions to prevent you from the attack. Please refer to the instructions:
1. Unplug the netting twine first before booting your computer, then use Ransomware prevention tool to prevent WannaCry Ransomware virus. This way can basically avoid being infected by WannaCry Ransomware virus.
2. Cut off the Windows 445 port to block the spread of the WannaCry Ransomware virus. And install anti Ransomware tool.
3. Install the MS17-010 update (for Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, 10, Server 2008 (R2), Server 2012 (R2), Server 2016) released by Microsoft 2 month ago to protect yourself against the Ransomware attack. As well as provides security patches for the out of support Windows operating systems, including Windows XP, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2003. At the same time, enable automatic updates to install the latest updates for your Windows.
4. Don’t visit the unsafe, suspicious or fake websites.
5. Don’t click on a link in an email, or in a chat message unless you pretty sure the page or sender. In general, the fake emails have bad spellings, be caution.
Reliable way to against WannaCry Ransomware: Backup Data Regularly
How to protect your computer from Ransomware? Backup system or files to external hard drive regularly should be the reliable way to prevent WannaCry Ransomware virus.
The best defense against Ransomware-AOMEI Backupper Free for WannaCry Ransomware will do you a big favor, no matter whether your computer infected or not. It’s easy to use and highly recommended by Windows users due to its friendly interface and powerful functions. AOMEI Backupper Free has the ability to do system backup, file backup, disk backup and partition backup. Now, you could download AOMEI Backupper Free and install it to backup important data to external hard drive in case WannaCry Ransomware encrypt and delete your essential files.
1. Connect the external hard drive to your PC, make sure it can be detected. Launch the freeware, it gives you the two options: I Want to Backup Data, Create Bootable Media. Here select I Want to Backup Data.
2. Choose Disk Backup to backup all the data, including operating system, personal documents, installed program, etc.
3. Edit Task Name.
4. Select the source disk to backup in the Step1, and choose the destination disk to save files from source disk in the Step2.
5. Tick Schedule to backup data daily/weekly/monthly.
6. Then press Start Backup to prevent WannaCry Ransomware virus encrypt your files.
After backing up, please take external hard drive to somewhere safe that far away from Internet. Or you can backup encrypted files after your files have been encrypted in case of data loss.
If you’re lucky not been hacked, follow the above Ransomware solutions to prevent WannaCry Ransomware virus. If else, you can protect yourself from Ransomware. In a nutshell, Backup is the best defense against WannaCry Ransomware attack. Developing good backup habits helps prevent WannaCry Ransomware, then you could recover files if required.